Spark plug longevity

Broke_Dirty_FZ1

Does anyone here actually change their spark plugs at the recommended intervals? In my case, the manual says every 8,000 miles. Or do you all just inspect them and continue to use them unless they show signs of wear or because you think they might be affecting engine performance?

I just picked up my 2002 FZ1 a couple of weeks ago with 16,000 miles on it. Since I don't know the maintenance history on it, I decided to change the plugs, along with giving it an oil change, and as some of you may have seen from one of my other threads, it needed a new chain and sprockets. I also plan on synchronizing the carbs here in the next few days.

I know there are two schools of thought on spark plugs. There are people that say to run them until they croak, which is almost never from what I have seen. Barring other engine problems. And there are people that say you should change them at the recommended intervals even if they look fine because they undergo changes which may not be seen with the eye and that can affect performance.

The reason I ask, is because I was going to change mine the other day and I had them out for inspection. I couldn't change them because the company I ordered my parts from sent me the wrong ones. But I did have to regap a couple that were barely out of spec and they all looked quite nasty. Almost ashy crusty looking.

I decided I was going to change them based on that inspection and since I didn't know how many miles they had on them. But today, I got the new ones and I went back and pulled two of the four that were already in the bike out again, and they now looked almost perfect. They probably cleaned themselves now that I have been riding the bike and since I did the oil change. The oil that came out of it was low in quantity, very runny, and somewhat dirty.

So now that I see these plugs, I am thinking there is no reason to change them and I plan on just keeping the new ones in case I need them in the next few thousand miles. I know it might be easy to think that these might be fairly new but I seriously doubt it based on what I know about the kid that had the bike before me. I think the only thing he did in the 12,000 miles or so that he has had it, is to change tires. And even then, that was only because the back tire was Flintstones flat with no profile left to it, and the chords were showing.

Some people follow the suggested maintenance schedule by the book, some don't seem to know what a maintenance schedle is and some pople like me do it from experience with other bikes. I follow the oil change schedule by the book. As far as the plug and valve gear check, I only change plugs about every 25,000 miles and they still are in pretty good condition then. My truck gets plugs every 100,000 miles so I figure the bie should be able to go 25,000. For me that's two seasons. The rest of the schedule like chain lube and tightening is a lube every 600 miles and tightening when it needs it which so far has been only twice in over 11,850 miles. Treat the thing right and it'll last a long time, abuse it and it will die a short life. And by the way, before every chain lube it gets a good cleaning first. I've done it about 20 times and I can get the job done in about 10 minutes with my Kettin-Max.

I always stick as closely as possible to the maintenance schedule when it comes to my bike. Also, whenever I buy a used bike or car for that matter, I change everything, oil, filters, plugs, etc. This way I am starting out fresh where I can then maintain according to my mileage. Plugs are relatively cheap if you go with the NGK CR9E's. I picked up a ten pack from Ebay that worked out to less than 5 bucks a plug with the shipping included. I change out all the regular maintenance items on a used bike, then record the mileage. Now I have a good starting point to continue in the future. If for no other reason, it gives me piece of mind when I'm riding. I say change them out for the new ones and start fresh, but thats just me. Everyone is different and has different opinions when it comes to spark plugs. Good luck with your new ride. Enjoy it!

My '07 has 17K miles on it and I pulled the plugs and they looked fine. I am going to change them out this winter along with a coolant change and a TB sync.

I always stick as closely as possible to the maintenance schedule when it comes to my bike. Also, whenever I buy a used bike or car for that matter, I change everything, oil, filters, plugs, etc. This way I am starting out fresh where I can then maintain according to my mileage. Plugs are relatively cheap if you go with the NGK CR9E's. I picked up a ten pack from Ebay that worked out to less than 5 bucks a plug with the shipping included. I change out all the regular maintenance items on a used bike, then record the mileage. Now I have a good starting point to continue in the future. If for no other reason, it gives me piece of mind when I'm riding. I say change them out for the new ones and start fresh, but thats just me. Everyone is different and has different opinions when it comes to spark plugs. Good luck with your new ride. Enjoy it!

Yea, that is usually what I do myself, unless the bike has very low mileage when I get it (my FZ1 only had 3500 miles when I bought it). While plugs are cheap enough one would think that they would last more than 8000 miles. However, given the previous maintenance, or lack of, I would just change them and get off to a fresh start...

Back