Spliting an N Headlight

That's a maybe. Another reason really. Also not sure about trusting one globe at night. At least with Std if low blows, you've got high to flick on.

That's a maybe. Another reason really. Also not sure about trusting one globe at night. At least with Std if low blows, you've got high to flick on.

happened to me, rode with hi's on for a day till I got home and I have extra bulbs at home. The brow lights are useless for light but help with visibility. Now if you could figure out how to put some bright LED's in there, I'd be interested.

Blanchy, I have done a retrofit on an FZ1N headlight. They are really easy to get open. There are some screws in the back of the headlight you have to take out first, and after the standard oven time and temp, it comes right open. Actually one of the easiest headlights that I have opened.

Blanchy, I have done a retrofit on an FZ1N headlight. They are really easy to get open. There are some screws in the back of the headlight you have to take out first, and after the standard oven time and temp, it comes right open. Actually one of the easiest headlights that I have opened.

Does the "Glass" separate from the chromed piece?

Interesting that you ask that. It does appear that it would. I did not attempt because I thought that I would mess up the chrome on the trim ring, but they clearly are separate pieces. I definitely think it is possible, however I didn't attempt.

i had asked chad to check that out for me initially too as i wanted to black out all the chrome inside the glass -- im going to be opening my headlight up again soon as my angel eye has rotated a bit and i want to finish blacking out the housing - would love to see where you go from here blanchy, please keep us posted

The glass is not designed to be removed. Appears to be "Superglued" to the chrome trim. When I managed to separate them, had some cracking on the bottom of the lens. It might still work out but I would not recommend doing this to a good unit. I purchased a rough 2nd hand unit for $50 for this experiment and it needed disassembly for cleaning anyway.

The Reflector needing cleaning
004-13.jpg

The inside of the glass "smokey"
002-22.jpg

The lower part of the lens showing the cracking
005-8.jpg

I will update how it turns out.

Done but a bit rough

The reason for splitting was I hate chrome (it belongs on Cadillacs and Harleys).
Got it back together. With hindsight, I think you could split the "glass" off successfully with some more patience than I had. I thought the glue was released and pulled the last part apart causing the cracking. I should have continued working my knife along listening for the release. Also discovered that the Chinese headlights are made from diferent plastic! It melts really fast in the oven. The reflector was Ok though so I used that.
Before shot
001-28.jpg

After
002-23.jpg

With 3w Leds in Park/brow lights
003-17.jpg

Last edited:
Back