stalling between 5,000 and 6,000 RPMs

I have had this problem for about a week. When I ride and hold steady throttle between 5,000 and 6,000 RPMs the bike acts like it wants to stall, as if it is not getting proper spark or fuel. Sometimes it happens even while accelerating through this RPM range but that is harder to reproduce. It doesn't matter what gear it is in, so it is not related to travel speed. I honestly don't know where to go to diagnose the problem.

The bike is a 2008 FZ1 with almost 10,000 miles and lots of modifications. See signature below.

If anyone has any suggestions on what to check on I am all ears. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, the gen 2 FZ1 has two components that could produce this kind of issue: a fuel line kink and ignition coils. All those mods would indicate the tank has probably been off at some point and this is a common cause of the fuel line kink.

Someone helpful will come by soon but have a search on the forum for those things in the mean time, you might find others have had the same issues as you :)

Last edited:
The tank has definitely been off, and I was thinking about a possible fuel line kink. Similar thing happened when I replaced the gas tank on an old truck of mine, and kinked the line when I put the new tank in. I hope it is this simple, but I haven't had the tank off in over a year or so.

I'd have to agree on the kinked fuel line. They tend to show up at higher RPM / fuel requirements. Replacing it with good rubber fuel line from any Auto parts place is a cheap first step in attempting to diagnose.

Very simple

If you do decide to replace the fuel line, there's a good write-up how to do it here:

It is a very basic thing to change out the fuel line.

The problem with the stock one is the material being too hard (stiff) unlike rubber fuel line. If the stock one is bent sharply (or stretched) it gets a kink that limits the flow, that doesn't fix itself (when put back to original position) like good quality rubber fuel line will. With rubber fuel line you just have to make sure to give it enough length to allow raising the fuel tank without it pulling on anything. Very common sense to anyone that is comfortable with common basic tools. Just be careful not to damage the plastic quick connect under the tank.

I just replaced the spark plugs. It was due since I have almost 10,000 miles on the bike. I also lifted the tank to all my connections and discovered there is a pretty bad kink in the fuel line. I will work on replacing that before I put everything back together. I am pretty confident this will clear up any problems.

Back