Stalling daily driver - Need help

CaptainAwesome

2007 FZ1
Mivv exhaust
Powercommandor 3
KN air filter with airbox mod
AIS looked normal
unsure if have FCE yet, mods done by PO.

Issue started two Saturdays back. About a half hour into my ride the bike starts jerking after taking off from a light. Stalls out.

Tried starting it, it would catch but die off.

Code 22.

Managed to get it to run, got it back to the hotel I'm staying at (in one for work currently). No issues on the return.

Replace intake air sensor with an OEM one. Wires looked good.

Bike ran fine for a 3 hour ride. As well as commuting again.

This morning I get the same issue on the way to work, about 3 minutes in. Get it started enough to make it up a hill, dies again on the way back down.

Trouble putting it into neutral on the big hill I was coasting down, kept skipping it. First Time that's happened, might just be a separate issue like a loose clutch cable. First I've noticed it.

Mods from the PO: Power commander, aftermarket muffler, KN air filter, air horn wired separate. Unsure if he installed any of the older methods to fix some of the issues like the fuel cut eliminator.

Haven't checked the code yet, too busy getting to work on time this morning.

Ideas?

Last edited:
Battery terminals are tight. Disconnected the aftermarket horn. The powercommander 3 is on the negative. I scrubbed the terminals and connectors when I installed a new battery couple months back.

#01 – Throttle Position Sensor 16-95 (steady)
#02 – Atmospheric Pressure Sensor (100 kPa = 29.53 inHg) 101
#03 – Cyl #1 Intake Air Pressure Sensor
#05 – Intake Air Temperature
#06 – Coolant Temperature
#07 – Vehicle Speed
#08 – Lean Angle Sensor
#09 – Fuel System Voltage
#20 off off (side stand) on
on
#21 off off ( neutral) on
on
#30 -> Coil #1
#31 -> Coil #2
#32 -> Coil #3
#33 -> Coil #4
#36 -> Injector #1
#37 -> Injector #2
#38 -> Injector #3
#39 -> Injector #4
#48 -> Air Induction Sys
#50 -> Fuel Injection Sys
#51 -> Radiator Fan Relay
#52 -> Headlight Relay
#53 -> EXUP Servo motor
#56 -> Sub Throttle Servo
#60 -> EEPROM Fault (Cylinder Number 01-04)
#61 -> Malfunction history code. Fault Codes 11-50
#62 -> Malfunction history code erasure. Fault Codes 01-28
#63 -> Malfunction code reinstate
#70 -> Control number

No codes. Only thing unusual I am seeing is D9 reading zero. Is it possible the power commander overrides this? A decade ago couple people posted theirs, one guy had a 0 for d9 as well.
Post in thread 'Problem with diagnostic mode, need help!' https://www.998cc.org/threads/problem-with-diagnostic-mode-need-help.7910/post-37141

I plan on looking for a Fuel cut eliminator, maybe it went out, but that's a weekend project.

Bike ran just fine. Throttle when checking d1 was steady, no number jumping.

Runs perfect except when it gets jerky then dies. Also seems to run better with the new air intake sensor, seemed like slightly better power.

No trouble finding neutral in the parking lot.

No changes when jiggling the battery cables, or smacking the PC3 while running.

Last edited:
I'm thinking it's fuel related.

Question is is it physical or electronic control.

It will crank when I have this problem. Cranks beautifully.

Last Saturday I got it to catch after a couple tries, but it died immediately. Tried giving it more gas as I started it, it caught, revved high, died just the same. Sat there for a bit, then it worked again, no problems for the half hour ride back.

Today, was about 3 minutes in, started fine, no problems, then it did it again. Couldn't get it started, turned around, tried again, it ran for a minute or two going up hill and waiting for a light to change, started going down hill and it died and wouldn't start. Coasted it back in... started once I got to the parking lot.

Road it for 3 hours this Monday. No troubles commuting yesterday, even had 10 minutes of intense soak you through your rain coat rain and no problems (which if it was electrical...)

The only common problem with all 3 was I was going down hill. However I go up and down hills every ride. Today I was barely going downhill, like you wouldn't know you were till you tried pushing it the other way. Didn't do it yesterday so it's not a constant.

Please note that it runs beautifully, without hesitation or a hickup normally.

So fuel.
Physical: hose or fuel pump.
See somethings on fuel line kink, I'll check that though I didn't lift the tank till after this happened the first time.

Electrical... haven't been able to check the other ends of the cables yet.
Powercommandor 3?
Fuel cut eliminator (do not know if I have yet, or if this was fixed by the pc3)
Kill switch short
???

Last edited:
I had a kinked fuel line. Only noticed it a few times. 1st time, it stalled while slowly accelerating after stopping to get gas. After that first stall, it ran fine. A week or so later, it would "hiccup" when accelerating from a stand-still, but then act fine after reaching highway speed. Did this a few days in a row, no codes. I decided to check the fuel line on a whim and sure enough, it had a fairly tight bend in the rather stiff hose. Replaced it with a new high-pressure fuel line from O'reilly's and fixed it. It's worth a look, and a cheap fix if indeed the issue.

The fuel hose can definitely easily kink but as I understand it the problem occurred before the tank was lifted. I had very similar symptoms with a failing fuel pump on my FJR. Replaced the fuel pump and no more issues more than 50K miles later. I have also had to replace the fuel pump on the FZ1 but it wasn't intermittent when it failed. Totally failed and was easy to troubleshoot. In both cases I took apart the the plastic housing and just replaced the electric pump.

Hmm.

Ok, so basically at random I am either not getting fuel or spark when riding. The two times it happened I was done accelerating and starting to maintain speed.

So something is either having a short or something that controls it is malfunctioning.

The dash does not dim or turn off when this happens.

I'll look more into issues with the coils, just seems odd it runs so well normally.

Switches... kill switch or the kickstand switch. Both have the power to keep the bike from running. Maybe there is a short?

However that doesn't fully explain when I was trying to get it started again when clearly it was trying and not catching. When I had a kick stand switch go out on a different bike it didn't try to crank.

Which leads me to think I'm just not getting fuel.

If it was mechanical, the only thing I can think of that woukd fit was a clog, but it shouldn't have returned.

Unless it's spark in which cause something is loose. Battery end looked good.

Is it possible for things like a power commander to start having problems like this? My bike has the intake mod and exhaust, just removing the PC3 is going to invite a lot of problems.

I have to take it apart to see if I have a FCE. I'm thinking since it has an older power commander that the mods where done when the bike was newish. If that controls something with the fueling it stands to reason if it was shorting or failing somehow it might be random.

Appreciate the help. I'm stuck working on it in a hotel parking lot hoping it doesn't rain. Maybe only an hour A day where I can even do that.

Yep, you're right. KISS.

I will start with the fuel line, hopefully I can check that today.

Also need to look into the fuel tank breather hose or vent. If it's got something in it that's almost clogged it it could keep fuel from flowing.

Someone else mentioned these same issues and it starting 10 minutes later just fine, and his was a sticking vent for the tank.

Fuel line has been upgraded. It's older but no kinks.

Blowing air through the orange vent on the gas tank had air come out the other end of the hose. It wasn't super strong but that connection also loops back around to somewhere else, ie 3 ends.

Cleaned up the negative cable ground as best I could. The wire itself is a little oxided on that end. Bike fired up and ran easily all the same.

Only loose connection I noticed was a disconnected 02 sensor for the exhaust.

Fuel line connecting to the engine, the housing could move up and down on the engines fuel line about a quarter inch. Not sure exactly how it connects or if that's an issue.

Low on oil, but that wouldn't cause this. Was about half way up the glass when I bought it, at the very very bottom now, so it's burning a bit. Done about 1500 miles since I bought it in January. (I do keep a general idea on this, but it's been a couple months if we are being honest that I really looked)

No oil light
No engine light.

All 4 headers were hot.

Didn't see a FCE.

Kill switch?
Kick stand switch?
Coils?

I will Check some of the wires super close on Saturday, maybe something is shorting. Nothing grabbed my attention today.

Problem feels like when you're driving a manual car and dump the clutch but don't give it gas, so it lurches.

I am at a loss gentlemen. I was really hoping it was a vacuum issue in the gas tank or something.

Last edited:
Well, tomorrow I will Check the kill switch, key switch and the Kickstand switch.

When I checked it in diagnostic mode on the second day both the Kickstand and neutral switch read as "off", when I checked it again they were set to "on"

My hope is maybe one of them is shorting and killing the fuel pump.

Any ideas beyond just giggling the wires trying to trigger the problem?

Woukd the bike lurch with this problem? Or just die and basically engine brake? Maybe if it's fluttering it's giving it gas/spark at random.

It's going to be something stupid, we all know that right? Lol...

jiggle wires in diagnostic mode and watch the readout. Just remember your dealing with something that wont generate a code. I would suspect the sidestand switch before the rest, cause chainlube. It sure would be nice to monitor fuel pressure.

I dont want to affect your thinking, but i cant count how many times ive done a fuel pump in the last 15 years on a no code producing CAR.

When was the last time you did a fuel filter? Oxygenated fuel attracts water and water wont go thru a fi fuel filter, so it collects in there until....

CAR?

Fuel filter/pump is on my list. I bought the bike in January, haven't touched the filter on it. My understanding is it's buried inside the fuel pump on gen 2s.

I plan on getting some seafoam.

Commuting in the pacific north west means riding in the rail a lot. Humidity can get so high it can look like it rained even if it hasn't. I'm sure that can find a way slowly into a tank, though my other bikes didn't have this issue.

CAR?

Fuel filter/pump is on my list. I bought the bike in January, haven't touched the filter on it. My understanding is it's buried inside the fuel pump on gen 2s.

I plan on getting some seafoam.

Commuting in the pacific north west means riding in the rail a lot. Humidity can get so high it can look like it rained even if it hasn't. I'm sure that can find a way slowly into a tank, though my other bikes didn't have this issue.
Do the fuel filter before seafoam. Ive seen clogged fuel filters screw up other component that are trying tooo hard to compensate for lack of fuel.

Back