Stalling daily driver - Need help

My experience has been that it's the electric motor that generally fails on the fuel pump vs. getting clogged. It is a harsh environment for the motor/rotating contacts in the fuel tank. Very prone to corrosion especially if it sits for extended periods without being ridden. The lurching makes me really think it's the fuel pump failing.

My plan of attack is seeing if I can replicate this problem when it's running on the center stand. My hope is I will jiggle the kick stand switch, it will immediately cause the issue, I will solder those wires together and then go for a celebratory ride.

If not, I will use the f word and look into replacing the fuel pump. Even if the filter is clogged that thing is so buried I'd end up just replacing the whole thing yo be on the safe side.

F word.

Kickstand switch and neutral switch seem to be in working order.

Kickstand switch also kills the engine, no stumbling. Bike won't crank in gear with Kickstand down, so in the past when I tried it would crank and not catch. So it's not the switch.

With some of the plastics off when running it I could hear a new sound, small mechanical whirring that pulsate separate to the rpms (usually goes up and down maybe 100 rpms when warming up). Not a steady pulse, speed up and slowed down.

So, fuel pump then? Course that has to be $400 for some stupid reason lol, looks like you can rebuild them so I will look into those.

Last edited:
Ordered.

Thanks. $80 ain't bad, $400 for a whole assembly would have sucked.

Doesn't look to be too bad of a job. Biggest hurdle will probably be draining the gas tank enough to pull it out.

Appreciate the help.

It's not too bad. Just be careful not to break the tabs taking the housing apart. It's pretty robust so shouldn't be a problem. I usually siphon the gas out but the tank doesn't need to be completely empty to get the pump out since the tank will be upside down.

Was the fuel pump a problem: yes.
Was it thee problem : yeah probably

That filter is just a wee bit dirty lol
1000034246.jpg

Mechanical buzz stabilized, idle still slightly bounces about the width of a white line on the tach (pretty sure it's normal)

Engine braking lessened quiet a bit, at a low speed it seemed like I pulled the clutch in. Also have to roll off in a shift like normal again, before hand I noticed you could get away with almost no roll off on the throttle when shifting.

First bar on the fuel gauge went off at 30 miles instead of around 26. We will see if I get better mpg.

I tried to get it stall again with every trick I knew and and zero problems. If I don't post again on it, that was the problem.

Thanks for the help gentlemen. Really appreciate it.

Anyone doing it in the future:
Took about an hour with the plastics already off in a parking lot.
Take lots of pictures, couple ways the wires can replug in.
There will be gas, have a rag when you disconnect the line. Also ventilation.
Watch the vent line and fuel line for kinks when you reassemble.
Run it, then lift it and check for leaks. I checked again after the test ride.

Back