Starting to modify the Fz1

Of course when you get a new bike, you've gotta make it your own. Some of us just grab the credit card and bolt stuff up (or get someone else to do it at a 100% markup... those philistines), some of us fab stuff up, and some of us just remove unwanted paint and plastic with road gravel ;)

I'm of the 'make it yourself if you can' clan. And one of the first things I've got to do (since my bike is a daily rider) is to get luggage. Now $400+ luggage systems are not gonna happen, it's against pretty much everything I believe in about motorbikes, along with CD players in the dash and automatic transmissions.

So I'm thinking about picking up a stock seat, modifying the rear portion of it to carry top luggage permanently and just switching the entire seat out when I want top luggage. But any suggestions on side luggage? Anyone seen a cool setup for panniers that is 1) pieced together/fabricated 2) not ammo boxes (i'm not riding a dual sport!) and 3) removeable.

I do know i'll end up spending 250+ on this when it's all said and done. But having a luggage system that I've put together myself, with the sizes and setup I think I need, it'll blow away those off-brand luggage systems I took a look at for sure.

There are a lot of options here, I would find the brand that looks good to you and has some good reviews. Then I would search on eBay for it, You can find new and clean used for next to nothing... My two cents.

This is my kind of thread. Off the top of my head, I was thinking it would be neat to get two aluminum suitcases (they come in all different shapes now, but the traditional rectangular ones like they deliver drug payments in movies would be sweet!) and bolt a quick release mechanism on the side of them. Then you'd just have to fab up some brackets (maybe that bolt on in place of passenger pegs?) and you'd be set. You could roll up to your destination and take the whole briefcase with you just like you would any normal luggage.

If the suitcase side of the bracket was unobtrusive enough, nobody would even know that they were off your motorcycle- you'd just look like a guy with one or two aluminum briefcases. I think that would be sweet.

I've got a total of $110 Invested in this Givi set up. the rack was free with the bike and I scored the bags used and severly scratched for $100 + $10 for a can of bedliner to hide the scratches. There are deals to be had
7.jpg

about 6 months ago a member of the ADV forum was giving away a set of alluminum panniers (sp)

Back