Starts but doesn't keep running.

Just to throw a spanner in the works , although the gen 2 doesn't have a choke as such it does however have a cold start device,(auxiliary air valve) operated via a wax stat , the plungers seize on them causing a starting issue as you describe, location is in the centre of the throttle bodies and has two small coolant hoses attached, can be easily removed and cleaned
Worth checking ✔

That can differently cause your problems. Do you think it could be a hardware or firmware? Send the ECU to Ivan I’m sure he could help you. Great guy to work with.

Just to throw a spanner in the works , although the gen 2 doesn't have a choke as such it does however have a cold start device,(auxiliary air valve) operated via a wax stat , the plungers seize on them causing a starting issue as you describe, location is in the centre of the throttle bodies and has two small coolant hoses attached, can be easily removed and cleaned
Worth checking ✔

Sorry to dig up an old thread but did you ever get this sorted out? I'm having a very similar issue.

Bike wants to start, you can hear it beginning to fire but it won't start without throttle held open slightly. Without holding throttle open the bike will die.
It also spits out heaps of fuel when starting with the throttle open, even when revs held around 1k as to mimic the idle.
This has been driving me crazy for the past week, I was going to start a new thread but thought I'd ask here first in case you solved it.

I'm also running a 2006 GEN II so I will be checking the thermowax thing next.

Last edited:
Sorry to dig up an old thread but did you ever get this sorted out? I'm having a very similar issue.

Bike wants to start, you can hear it beginning to fire but it won't start without throttle held open slightly. Without holding throttle open the bike will die.
It also spits out heaps of fuel when starting with the throttle open, even when revs held around 1k as to mimic the idle.
This has been driving me crazy for the past week, I was going to start a new thread but thought I'd ask here first in case you solved it.

I'm also running a 2006 GEN II so I will be checking the thermowax thing next.
Hiya I renewed alsorts no nothing changed .I changed starter relay n it started as normal and been ok ever since.

Hiya I renewed alsorts no nothing changed .I changed starter relay n it started as normal and been ok ever since.
Thanks for your reply mate.

I'll give the starter relay a look over too.
From memory would you say yours was trying to start when you weren't giving it throttle? Or was it not trying to start at all until you did?

Back