Steering bearing adjustment

I can feel/hear some clicking in my steering neck on my gen 1. I would like to tighten up the bearings a bit but I do not know where to find the spanner tool. Is it the same one that is in my factory tool kit, the one for the rear shock? Thanks in advance!

I can feel/hear some clicking in my steering neck on my gen 1. I would like to tighten up the bearings a bit but I do not know where to find the spanner tool. Is it the same one that is in my factory tool kit, the one for the rear shock? Thanks in advance!

No, it's not the same tool. I know that CycleGear sells a spanner but I'm terrible with sizes when it comes to them. If you need the actual torque specs and or the procedure, I can send it to you once I get home this evening. It's not that hard and if I remember correctly, I didn't even use the spanner when I did my adjustment and I haven't had an issue since.

Cool, thank you. I have a Clymers manual and a good friend who is a Yamaha tech so hopefully I can figure it out. If you did not use the spanner what did you use?

Cool, thank you. I have a Clymers manual and a good friend who is a Yamaha tech so hopefully I can figure it out. If you did not use the spanner what did you use?

If I remember correctly, I used a large Channel Lock plier to tighten down the bottom nut by feel only. The top nut only goes hand tight followed by the lockdown washer. If your buddy is a Tech then you'll have no problems. I do however have the Service Manual (Not Clymers) which has the procedure in case you need it.

Back