Steering head torque adjustment

firefly

Been wanting to do this for a long time as the bike's handling started becoming vague causing me to turn wide in tunes.
from my experience with the same issue with my vmax I had the correct tools ready to tackle this job (two spanners & a 27mm socket).

1- Put the bike on the center stand.
2- Push on the rear of the seat to raise the front tire off the ground.
3- Turn the handle bar to the left & right, when loose the handle bar bounces as it hits the steering stop, when it is correctly torqued it does not bounce, mine bounced 2 - 3 times which is what I was expecting.
4- Loosen the upper pinch bolts holding the upper part of the forks.
5- Use the 27mm socket to remove the steering nut, there is a washer under it, don't loose it.
6- Pull up the upper triple to expose the steering head castled nuts, remove the locking washer & the upper castled nut you'll find a rubber washer I discarded that and used an aluminum washer instead.
7- Tighten the lower castled nut then do the handle bar bounce test again until no bouncing occurs or tighten to factory specs with a torque wrench.
8- Place the aluminum washer then the upper castled nut, hold the lower castled nut with the spanner to keep it from moving any further while tightening the upper castled nut with a second spanner.
9- I discarded the rubber washer and the locking washer & used an aluminum washer instead.
10- put the upper triple back, washer & steering nut and tighten to specs or by feel.
11- Tighten the upper fork pinch bolts.
12- go for a test ride, if the bike weaves then the lower castle nut is too tight, if the bike's steering feels sharp and accurate congratulate yourself for the good job.
13- The handle bar bounce test should be part of general inspection to keep the bike handling as it should & to rule out or confirm fork bushing play.

This really transforms handling & inspires confidence in all riding situations.
For spanners I got them from ebay a while back to do this to my vmax, here is the seller, I am not the seller or his friend. but I feel two of these spanners are a good investment for many Japanese bikes.

Yamaha Steering Head Ring Nut Wrench Venture VMAX R1 FJR Virago Radian WR450 | eBay

Last edited:
The steering head castled nuts are designed to become looser with time & never get tighter which is a good thing but that requires frequent checking every ~ 10K miles depending on the bike use. I am tempted to use red Loctite on the lower nut & since I have the spanners to loosen & tighten it, I'll give that a try next time I inspect and grease the steering head bearings,
clean the threads with brake cleaner to remove all grease traces then apply a small amount of red Loctite, tighten the lower nut to specs, metal washer instead of the rubber one then apply a little red Loctite to the upper nut and tighten making sure that the lower nut doesn't move. red Loctite sets in 10 mins but completely cures in 24hrs.
Properly tightened steering head eliminates vague handling completely provided that the forks are in good shape.

This video is for testing a Yamaha vmax steering head but is basically the same for any bike.
How to set the steering head bearings Yamaha Vmax.avi - YouTube

Last edited:
Back