Steering Input

broussos

I don't know if it's me or what but It seems to me like it takes an awful lot of input to get my gen 2 to countersteer. Dont know if it's because of the stock fat tire on the back or the suspension setup also stock at this point or something with the handlebars or steering geometry. Anybody have any thoughts on this? I'm trying to figure out what my next move is. Don't get me wrong the bike handles great and I can get it leaned over pretty good but it just seems to me I've had other bikes in the past that countersteered a bit easier with less input. So I was wondering if there something I can do to get it to turn in easier.

A new set of tyres would help. A new 190/55 rear tyre assists turn in.
Also raising the rear assists turn in. Some people lower the front end but it reduces ride height a little.
I have a new Nitron height adjustable rear shock and I've raised the bike 5mm in the rear.
It's still really stable and turns a bit quicker. I reckon I could go a couple of mm more.
Your suspension also helps get the bike to turn in quicker, I found that the stock settings would see the bike wallow in faster corners.
Good luck

I don't know if it's me or what but It seems to me like it takes an awful lot of input to get my gen 2 to countersteer. Dont know if it's because of the stock fat tire on the back or the suspension setup also stock at this point or something with the handlebars or steering geometry. Anybody have any thoughts on this? I'm trying to figure out what my next move is. Don't get me wrong the bike handles great and I can get it leaned over pretty good but it just seems to me I've had other bikes in the past that countersteered a bit easier with less input. So I was wondering if there something I can do to get it to turn in easier.

Yeah, that big 190 in the back slows steering quite a bit. The new FZ8 comes with a 180 rear tire and a 1/2 inch norrower rim. Also, and this is something I am wrestling (no pun intended) with currently, when the rear tire starts to flatten the tread in the middle from constant upright riding, it is a bear to get the bike to lean over in turns. :mad:

Unless you have something that you are comparing it to, that's pretty nebulous. I suppose there are some sport bikes out there that take a little less effort to put through the tight stuff, but there are also a whole bunch that are pretty heavy in the steering input. For my style, the FZ1 is about right. The only bike I've owned that was probably quicker was my 900R ninja. Back in 1984 they came out with a 16" front wheel because some of the pros were going that route. I thought it was a horrible combination because stability suffered and when in the tight stuff that was also on bad or uneven pavement, it was downright scary. I'll take a little more steering input any day to a unstable front end.

Thanks for all the info,I think it must be the 190 tire, I guess I'm used to a narrower tire on the bmw which seems to turn in easier but now that you mention it I guess its not as stable as the fz1 either. Still the fz1 rocks my world compared to the beemer.

Back