Stock exhaust modification.???

Hi. First post, i'm new here.

I bought a new fz1 last summer. As i was visiting friends in a bad part of town, some kids just played on and droped my ride on the sidewalk. Among damage the exhaust was scratched and slightly crushed.

I would like to modify it for sound and gain in power. Is this possible and how?

I'm looking for an aftermarket slip on to replace it so destroying it is an option lol.

Any thought's?

Welcome to the forum. I didn't know that there was a "bad" part of any town in Canada. I heard you guys have a zero crime rate up there. Maybe thats all lies they have been telling us. Anyway, good to have you aboard.

As for the exhaust, I would just wait and purchase the slip on and be done with it. If you drill out baffles and such in the stock exhaust and you don't rejet the bike, you'll probably wind up with alot of backfiring on deceleration. Also, I don't think you will not pick up any extra horsepower that way.

By the way, my name is Billy, and I am from New York. Welcome again. Maybe you can post some pics of your ride when you have time.

Billy is spot-on as far as the stock muffler is concerned. I've seen other riders, and myself, try to improve a stock muffler for sound/performance with a drill or hacksaw. It's a no brainer to make the bike louder but it's altogether a different story to make more power. All too many riders think the manufacturers only concentrate on meeting emissions regulations and pay little to no attention to power. The manufactures have far more investment money and time put into making the best power out of a machine balancing ridability, power, and emissions. For the most part, that's why a good aftermarket exhaust is $500 or more just for a slip-on when the "can" looks like it shold cost $75. You might be able to spruce up the muffler to the point it's barely noticeable that it is damaged. Some paint and polish can do wonders.

AND........Welcome

Thank you!

Thank's

Ok, i'll just wait for the aftermarket can.

Until then a bit of paint should do.

The bike is new, 2008. It's not the TE but i've had it equiped as such, lower fairing, higher windshield and uhhhh, duhhh rear compartments. lol forget the name. I'll be posting pictures soon.

Any DIY performance mods you could suggest?

From another forum ....
Well, just finished. Wife has digital camera, so I have no pics, but here goes. I took off the slip on and looked into the collector to take a peek at the cat. I was able to drill about 3 or 4 holes in it with my 1/2 inch bit. Then I took a big ol flathead and a mallet and banged out the rest till it was perfect. Got the junk out with a shop vac, telescoping magnet, and starting the bike open header in the yard. Cat number 1 gone. Now on to modding the muffler. Looking in from the where the exhaust exits I saw a steel deflector plate. I got a 16\" 1/2 inch drill bit from Sears and taped off the area around the tip and not to scratch anything. I ran it in there and was able to drill 4 holes in the plate. Then I put my 27\" pry bar down there and gave it a couple of wacks with the mallet to open up a large hole in the steel plate. Then it was time to find out what I could do with the cat in there. Right off the bat I saw that the valve was gonna make this a pain in the ass. With the big drill bit in I had no problems in making 2 holes in the cat per side of the valve. I stuck the big flathead in between the 2 holes and pounded away, opening a decent bit of the cat per side. I still wanted to get the crap in the middle that the valve was blocking however. So, I stuck my curved tip prybar in there (which got around the valve perfectly) and starting twisting it. That knocked out all the middle stuff, and I cleaned up all the rest with a bit more flathead and mallet. I shook it out, and blew some out with the air compressor. Then I reinstalled and fired the bike up to blow out the rest of the crap.

The results: The bike will now come up easier, thus I would assume makes more power. It is a decent bit louder, but still much quieter than an aftermarket pipe. It will shoot flames on decel if you rap it a couple of times You now really FEEL the exhaust come out of the tip with some authority.

The materials: 1 mallet, 1 ball peen hammer, 1 big flathead screwdriver, 1 big ass prybar, 1 telescoping magnet, 1 16\" 1/2 inch drill bit, 1 18V drill, and lots of time.

The question. Why has no one ever just taken the cables of and left the valve open? Seems like you could also just break the tack welds holding the 2 screws that hold the valve to the shaft and take the valve off? A slip-on doesn't need the valve, so why would a modded stock pipe?

---UPDATED---

Actually I just finished my TOTAL stock exhaust mod last nite. I took the pipe off, then took all the EXUP cables off, and the spring and seat hardware for the EXUP on the midpipe. I drilled out the screws that hold the butterfly plate to the bar that goes across the inside of the pipe. Then I took and sawzall with a long blade and cut that bar in two, and let the peices fall out. This got everything out of the way to do a better job of getting all the CAT crap out. Take the peice that fell out that has the threaded end on it (the end that sticks out the side of the pipe normally that the spring and seat bolt to) and grind down the useless end of it. Reinsert it into the pipe and replace the seat and spring back to their orignal location and replace the 10MM bolt holding it all together. There is one more steel baffle plate in the pipe I would have liked to poke a hole in, but there was no way to do so. I have no PCIII and the bike runs and sounds great.

and for the airbox :

look at these pictures... follow suit.

as for zipping the flies... well... you basically use zip-ties to hold the flies wide open... or... you can remove the flies all together... which achieves about the same thing...

it is worthy to note though... to get the best performance from these mods... you should at least get a Power Commander... and when you do, I can point you towards a bunch of maps to download.

slip on

Well guys, I was looking into a buying slip on myself but I read a few tech articles not recommending it because of exup valve and O2 sensor. Is is at peak power for everyday use between 3000 to 9000rpm with stock exhaust. Modifying it without changing the computer mapping for uptimum fuel/air/backpressure might get you a few hp at 11000rpm at best, but will decrease hp and torque at lower rev, so I guess the Yamaha engineers have done a very good job as it is. All these charts jobber show us with increased hp and torque are more to sell a $500-$1000 slip on and make profit. I must admit tough that it sounds better with a slip on. Go on Youtube and type FZ1 exhaust and you'll hears some good ones...

I know I'm a bit late to this thread, but I just have to address this EXUP thing. I tried punching out the cats, and got the header one out just fine. I damaged the muffler though, and had to scrap it. I ended up getting a Scorpion titanium fade slip-on at 58cycle.com for less than $300, and got it in 2 days. If I can just stop the exhaust leaks, I'll be doing great.
Anyway, the EXUP is gone, and the cables totally removed. All I can say is HOLY CRAP. The EXUP does NOTHING except hold the bike back. It's noticeably snappier now, and the power surge really hammers me starting at 5k now. Low end power is also not lost. EXUP is ridiculous. I just put in a K&N filter and PCV as well.

Edit: 5/10/09, there IS, in fact, a sizeable hole in the power now between 2-3k rpm. This is typical on all the dyno results I've seen, but it was severe on mine. I ended up adding a lot fuel to the 40% and up columns in the PCV stock map from 2-3k rpm, and it's smoother now with some power back in place. I don't think that's EXUP related, but rather it's the motor and those pesky secondary flies. I'm going to try zippin' them next...and the airbox mod because I've seen those results from Ivan's. They're bona fide.

- T.

Last edited:
need help

hello, i am really new at this , i have a new fz1, i have not had a bike in 10years all my other bikes were vmaxs three of them starting from day one, lol now i have a fz1 iam looking to gut the front cat maybe the back one not sure, what do i need to do with the 02 seneor

I did my front cat and removed my exup cables today, the O2 sensor is about 5" after the front cat you will only see it after the cat is dead, so dont hit it with a drill or screwdriver.

Undo the rear silencer,let it hang with the exup cables or remove them.There is a small black control under the drivers seat directly behind the fuel tank, remove the 10mm bolt that holds it in place, remove 2 screws on it to get to the cable ends.
You will see a big mesh about 5" inside the collector box, this is the front cat, it is about 3" thick use a good metal drill and a big flathead screwdriver and a heavy hammer do get rid of it.

Do nothing with the O2 sensor.

Last edited:
Back