Stock exhaust modification.???

Hi. First post, i'm new here.

I bought a new fz1 last summer. As i was visiting friends in a bad part of town, some kids just played on and droped my ride on the sidewalk. Among damage the exhaust was scratched and slightly crushed.

I would like to modify it for sound and gain in power. Is this possible and how?

I'm looking for an aftermarket slip on to replace it so destroying it is an option lol.

Any thought's?
Hi. This is also my first comment on this site. In regards modifying the original pipe, YES it can be done as I wanted a nicer note without it being to loud and I wanted to retain the original look (as the original pipe dare I say it grows on you) not to mention the exup. This mod is not easy but possible. I am luckly to have a mate with a plasmacutter and power hacksaw.
If you take off the heat sheild closest to the foot peg you will find an original weld under it. Using a power hacksaw simply cut where the weld is, This is exactly between the inner pipe and cat.
Once in two pieces you will see the cat is in the rear part of the pipe. This cut took approx 2 minutes. Getting the cat out was the challenge and after 2 attemps with heat from a normal gas axe and screw drivers, we finally removed the cat with the plasma cutter by simply heating (extreme heat) and blowing the molten material out. This took approx 40 minutes and was the hardest part as we wanted to tidy up the inner wall to make the silencer packing easy. We then took off the back cast cover ( 5 or 6 allen key bolts) at the back of the pipe. You will notice the original inner pipe is welded at the rear end. Using the plams cutter, cut around the pipe and it just falls out, be carefull you do not cut out to much as you need to weld the new pipe in at the end. We then purchased some (mild steel) perferated pipe and stainless steel exhaust packing. We cut the perfed pipe to length with a bend about twothirds the way down and tacked it at the front end of pipe. We then welded the original tail end pipe to the other end of the prefed pipe. Then we put some packing in the front part of the pipe first and then the rest in the rear part of the pipe. Then we placed the two pipes together and tacked it together (this was the first weld we cut with the powersaw at the begining). Once this was done simpling weld the tail pipe in the hole at the back you cut with the plasma cutter. Once it all lines up finish welding the original cut and that is it. I used VHT heatproof satin black paint and it looks factory. Although this sounds tricky it took about an hour and a half from start to finish. The result was just perfect as the sound was deep but not offencive. Re addition power I dont really know but it did make a difference with the mid range power flat spot they have. Anyway I hope is is some help I guess my biggest gamble at the start was were to cut the original pipe and what I would find under it. At least that answers that question. GOOD LUCK. Dean

Stuckinsnow, Check on eBay I saw a couple of slip ons for around $130 if you don't need a brand name! I did remove the baffel on my R1 stock exhaust before I replaced it a few yrs. ago! I did however rejet the carbs for it! Worked good, Sounded Great! But I can't say I gained any HP! Not enough to notice!

Back