Superbike bar on 2004 FZ1

firefly

Superbike 7/8" Handlebar, Diameter: 7/8”, Width: 29.2”, Rise: 3.04”. Pullback: 3”, Center width: 4”

Bought it from ebay, $33.00 shipped, this handle bar is ~ two inch wider than stock.
I filled the bar with fine dry sand & plugged it 1.5 inch deep from both sides using plastic plugs that came with the bar to accommodate for a pair of universal bar ends, this reduces vibration at least 30%.

Since the superbike bar has no holes the protrusions in the switch assemblies have to be cut off, they prevent switch assembly rotation but without them the switches don't rotate easily anyway, or you can dril 2 holes in the stock location in the new bar to avoid cutting off the protrusions in the switch assemblies.

The result is a significantly more comfortable wrist position making me grip less tight with no forearm pumping (muscle strain), the elbows are also positioned in a more relaxed & natural position overall more control over the bike, more precision turning/ leaning & a more upright sitting position.
Hope the information is useful. will post more photos in daytime of the bar on the bike.

Last edited:
After a few days of having the superbike bar, getting use to the new position & tweaking it a little rotating it I found my sweet spot & now the difference is significantly comfortable riding position, much less strain on my wrists, elbows & shoulders, more confidence inspiring leaning & U-turning.

the less pull back vs stock bar made a huge difference, the rise is about the same as stock, I previously tried a one inch riser on the stock bar but the position was so awkward and controlling the bike got a lot harder so I took it off after just two hours.

the superbike bar is two inch wider than stock at first I felt too wide but then it grew up on me, cutting the bar one inch from both ends can be easily done with a tube cutter but so far I don't feel the need to cut it.
all in all a great cheap mod that really enhances comfort, control & riding pleasure.

I just ordered these as well. I hope I'm as happy with them as you are.

If you don't want to cut off the plastic guides of the controls just drill holes in the bar as in the stock bar, if they feel too wide you can use a tube cutter to cut one inch off each end.
Note: the stock bar end weights will not work so you need to buy universal end wts, other than that I think you'll love the relaxed position & the added control.
let us know how it turnes out for you.

My superbike bars arrived today. I'm pretty happy with them. I put 30 miles on them. I need to trim them to the correct width still

IMAG1381.jpg

IMAG1378.jpg

Damn i i wish id changed to these bars before i put new grips on.

Good excuse to go buy an air compressor!

You could just squirt some soapy water underneath the grip and that should do the job

I've got that same bar on my SV650 and I like it. Can't beat it for the $12 I paid

Last edited:
You could just squirt some soapy water underneath the grip and that should do the job

I've got that same bar on my SV650 and I like it. Can't beat it for the $12 I paid

I tried this with the stock grips but ended up cutting them off. Will give it a go though, if these bars are going to be a bit more relaxed for my reconstructed shoulder.

Whered you get them for $12?

Bike Bandit a year back or so

I think the stock grips are often glued on so the soapy water might not work but it will if you do your new ones without glue.

Red Bull works well as a grip 'application fluid'. Goes on slick and dries sticky :)

Damn i i wish id changed to these bars before i put new grips on.

Good excuse to go buy an air compressor!

You will need a compressor anyway when changing spark plugs to blow the junk that accumulates in the spark plug well.

Removing the grips is very easy, I use WD-40 here is how:
1- After removing the bar end pinch the grip and push the red straw of the WD-40 in as far as you can under the grip, give it a few squirts while pushing it in.
2- Hold the grip with both hands & twist it in opposite direction until it becomes loose then pull it out.
it works form me every time & takes less than 2 mins.

I initially had them too far forward and had to roll them back towards me some. Aside from that i really like them. My only gripe is the bends don't seem to be exact from side to side.

bar risers

hello ,
I just picked up a 09 fz1 so please excuse my dumb questions.has anybody put bar risers on. how Do you think it would affect handiling.Im still getting used to the bike after 2 weeks. I ve been riding for over 25 years and have never had a bike like this

:Rockon:

thanks
Lonnet

Back