Surging and unsmooth

Hello All,
I am new here and hoping you guys can help me. I have a 2006 FZ1 which today recently developed some surging problems.
Yesterday I took the bike on a road trip of about 300km. The bike ran great on the way down. This morning when I put gas in it after breakfast it started developing surging problems. Initially the bike was surging around 5000 rpms. Once I got higher into RPM's the bike smoothed out.
On the way home, i had to take the freeway. The surge got progressively worse, in first gear from 3-8000 RPM's the bike was surging so badly i thought i was at a rodeo riding a bull.
Once i got on the freeway initially it went away, each time i stopped for a break and smoke. After the bike would be initially worse than get better as I got going. The problem now is in all gears and RPM's. The throttle also does feel more tight. It also randomly shuts off when I am at a traffic light with the clutch in.
Do you guys have any ideas?

I have about 32,000 km on my bike and the following mods:
K&N Air Filter
Graves stacks
Yoshimura Fll exhaust
PCV

All mods have been on the bike for more than 10,000 km now with no problems. I recently have not done any major work other than swap tires and change the oil at the dealership. I have checked the air cleaner and it is fairly clean with very little dirt. The shop suggested i take the PCV off and bring it to them that way so they can look at it.

I'm with BM. I had the same issue a week ago after getting some gas. I took the backroads home and added some Seafoam, filled it with high test 93 Octane and it's been fine ever since.

Hi guys
I did forget to add that on the way home. I refilled up and used some injector cleaner. Problem was still there. I also checked the fuel lines from the tank and couldn't find any kinks
My friend riding behind me mentioned I was had flames coming out of my exhaust at times when it surged or I shifted. Lots of backfire.
The bike definitely feels like I keep hitting the clutch over and over at times. Just bucking about and will suddenly surge forward.

I'm with fisherman ,,, sounds like a coil breaking down ,, would explain the flames as the cylinder will fill with fuel then a massive explosion when the coil does spark

It sounds like it is running super lean. Take the PC5 out of the equation and see if things improve. I had similar issues when i used the wrong usb cable to make changes in the PC5 .. I re-did the firmware set-up with the proper cable and it all went away.

If the symptoms persist, check your fuel pump pressure. It should be around 42psi IIRC

Last edited:
Thank you for all the advice.
I will unplug the PCV first and see if that corrects anything. I was not aware there was a specific cable for the PCV. I have been using one of my USB cables that fit.

Hi all,
I think the problem has been fixed. This morning I updated my PCV to the latest firmware and went for a ride. That did not fix the issue, since i was low i gas i went ahead and put a quarter tank in. When i got home i went ahead and unplugged the battery to get ready to remove the PCV. I could not get the harness unplugged so I put everything back together and got ready to take it to the shop. Amazingly the bike ran perfectly normal and was back to regular.
So not sure if me unplugging the battery let the ECU reset and fixed the problem or me checking the connections under the tank fixed the issue.

Hi all,
I think the problem has been fixed. This morning I updated my PCV to the latest firmware and went for a ride. That did not fix the issue, since i was low i gas i went ahead and put a quarter tank in. When i got home i went ahead and unplugged the battery to get ready to remove the PCV. I could not get the harness unplugged so I put everything back together and got ready to take it to the shop. Amazingly the bike ran perfectly normal and was back to regular.
So not sure if me unplugging the battery let the ECU reset and fixed the problem or me checking the connections under the tank fixed the issue.

Either way a fix is a fix great result !!

It great to hear that your bike is running better.
Personally, I hate not knowing what the problem was as they have a habit of returning.
Hopefully this won't happen in your case.

Yes,I agree. I would rather know what went wrong but it is hard to diagnose when it seems sorted.
My plan is to enjoy the few weeks i have left to ride before winter sets in and slowly go through everything in the off season. Hopefully I can isolate it down.

Back