Suspension Set Up for Larger Guys

So, I'm a big guy.

I'm quite sure my suspension is not set up for someone my size.

Is this a shop thing or is it garage doable?

There is a set-up for us "big fellows". Let me find it and I will post it here. It may not be exact, but it will be a world of difference better than the stock settings. Give me a few to find it. I have it written down somewhere.

Thanks Dustin, Okay here ya go. Try and just follow the drawing and you should be fine. I got this from a website and it was a setting for 240lbs+. Thats where I fit in. Once finished the bike handled 100% better!

Rear Shock Set-up:
RearShockSetting.jpg

Front Fork Set-up:
FrontSuspensionSetting.jpg

I hope this helped you as it did me.

Yo....NY. Bro, excelent..... what would you say this adjustment is good for rider weight-wise? Not-for-nuthi'n, but I'm missing my manual as the bike is second hand (a GEN I, 05 FZ1 w/Pilot ct II's) My weight is at 265-70 lbs, but I am slowly decreasing as winter decreases, (more out-door activity you know). So no lie about the weight, would this adjustment fall into my weight catagory? or would you suggest an additional wind on the spring. To tell you the truth decelleration from road speed, say 50-40 and lower, down to 20 or so........I experiance the front wheel wanting to wobbel side to side.... but only if my hands are not on the bars and I'm coasting in as it were. As the deceleration progresses to slower and slower speeds it increases the wobbling until it seems prudent to get back on the bars. .....Rich.....

Yo....NY. Bro, excelent..... what would you say this adjustment is good for rider weight-wise? Not-for-nuthi'n, but I'm missing my manual as the bike is second hand (a GEN I, 05 FZ1 w/Pilot ct II's) My weight is at 265-70 lbs, but I am slowly decreasing as winter decreases, (more out-door activity you know). So no lie about the weight, would this adjustment fall into my weight catagory? or would you suggest an additional wind on the spring. To tell you the truth decelleration from road speed, say 50-40 and lower, down to 20 or so........I experiance the front wheel wanting to wobbel side to side.... but only if my hands are not on the bars and I'm coasting in as it were. As the deceleration progresses to slower and slower speeds it increases the wobbling until it seems prudent to get back on the bars. .....Rich.....

GoHot, this setting is for 240+ lbs. I am 240 easy without gear and it's worked great for me. I would, in your case, go one or two settings more on the rear spring. You should be good after that.

If those settings are not enough for you and you have the cash I would buy a new shock sprung for you and have the front rebuilt with springs for someone you size. I did this this summer and the difference was amazing! oh ya I am a big guy as well.

Just to be sure (since I just did it) the "1" setting on the rear preload is all the way on the end that compresses the coil, right? Not the other way around?

Back