Tank pannier sets?

Now that I have my FZ, my roommate has gotten interested in getting another bike. Like me, he rode for years, but sold his bike a few years ago. He's been looking at some of the adventure bikes on the market. One of the luggage options we both like a lot for the adventure bikes is the tank bag with panniers. You end up with saddlebags in front of your legs hanging from the tank. The reviews I have seen mention that they reduce wind on the legs, but dont' restrict airflow to the engine or cause overheating problems. I also like the idea of not having to throw my leg over a rear bag and/or saddlebags.

So far, I have only seen them used on adventure bikes. Are they feasible at all on a Gen1 FZ1, or am I really barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks,

Monte

Personally I think they obstruct the forward view, especially of the instruments and make refueling a real pain. It's my not so humble opinion they look dorkey as well. A duffle bag or soft bags over the rear seat work better and don't mess with the tank paint.

I wouldn't have paniers up front (very dorky), but a tank bag would be OK.

Personally I have an extendable tail pack from Ventura, it straps under the rear seat via a bikini that it clips to -- really good and I can get a lot in it when extended.

If you want serious luggage without the hassle of panniers (front or rear), I'd fit a Ventura rack/pack as you can get a huge bag and strap a lot to the frame wthout adding width and it won't get in the way of your leg when you throw it over the bike,

Yeah, I definitely can't see using them for normal day-to-day riding. I was really more interested in using them for longer trips. I do like the weight being closer to the center of the bike instead of the rear (though it's probably more of a psychological benefit, as it I doubt it's enough to make a difference). And a little extra wind protection would seem to help after a few hours on the highway.

Heat

Now that I have my FZ, my roommate has gotten interested in getting another bike. Like me, he rode for years, but sold his bike a few years ago. He's been looking at some of the adventure bikes on the market. One of the luggage options we both like a lot for the adventure bikes is the tank bag with panniers. You end up with saddlebags in front of your legs hanging from the tank. The reviews I have seen mention that they reduce wind on the legs, but dont' restrict airflow to the engine or cause overheating problems. I also like the idea of not having to throw my leg over a rear bag and/or saddlebags.

So far, I have only seen them used on adventure bikes. Are they feasible at all on a Gen1 FZ1, or am I really barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks,

Monte
Like so many of the others have pointed out. Tank bags and Tank panniers are a pain when it comes time to fuel. That is why when I got the FZ I decided to put on the Hard bags. I honestly don't even notice them when I ride, and I am sure that I have come close to dragging them in the corners, at least that's what it looks like to my buddies. I have a tank bag that I have had for 20 years plus, an "Eclipse", but I just dont like what it does to the paint. I have also melted a soft bag on a header before, so I would not want a heavy set of soft bags so near the hot end(top) of the engine.
But hey nothing stopping you from getting a dealer to let you try one on the bike. Even empty, and sitting still, you should get a good idea of how it would work.
I spotted a bike, a 600 Ninja with a huge tail pack on a ride near Jasper,AB. I asked the smallish young lady how she liked it considering her size, and she said she really did not notice it. It was one of those combination packs that sit over the seat and hang down like saddle bags. It mounted nice and snug over the tail section and despite it's load was no bother for her. After all if you have had a passenger on the back, No pack is going to be anyware near as top heavy as that.

ROADGEAR Hi-Adventure Tank Sidebags

Thanks,

Monte

I don't know if you are still looking but I found these when searching for new soft luggage for Baby and remembered this thread:

178SL771.black.jpg

Back