Tank Slapper paint protection

TheTankSlapper.biz - 3M Tank Protectors: Yamaha

They carry both the "tank slapper" re-usable vinyl protector pads and the 3-M protector pads that I went with.
the kit comes with the bike specific pre-cut pieces a scrap to practice on and a small amount of soap to add to the water for the spray applicator, as well as a small plastic spatula. Instructions are not included and must be printed off from their website. The online instructions are good though and easy to understand. The kit took just over a week to arrive and was packaged in a tough clear plastic package with foam padding sheets inside. It arrived in good shape (a few small wrinkles in the sheets thanks to the postman).
As per the instructions you will need to mix in a small spray bottle and water/soap (supplied) mixture 1 drop soap for 1 oz. water, 2 oz. total will be lots!. A small sample size hairspray pump bottle would be perfect(well rinsed out). Ask your other half what I'm talking about. A second such spray bottle will be needed for the water/ alcohol mix (rubbing alcohol), 70% water to 30% alcohol. Have some clean terry towels handy.
The tank should be clean, and waxed. and the pilot seat removed. The tank should be warm (after a ride or out in the sun).

Test fit the sheet that you plan to attach first so that you are familiar with how it should fit before working with it, avoiding mistakes that will frustrate you. When you are ready peel the backing paper back USE THE SPATULA to grab the sticky side of the the film (unless you like having fingerprints under the film and you will) . Spray the soap/water mixture lightly over the area that the film is to be attached to and carefully lay the film over top.

The soap mixture allows the film to be moved slightly to position it just right. With rag in one hand and spatula in other work the spatula gently from the center out to the edges pushing the water out from under, using the rag to dry up the edges. You will need patience with the compound curves, stretching the edges once the center is well stuck down. Use the spatula to pick up the stubborn edges and spray the alcohol mixture under these areas, while using the spatula to work these down.

NOTE: The alcohol mixture can be used exclusively but will not allow nearly as much movement as it clears out from under the film much quicker and is why it help with the edges.

I did the center section of the kit first and it was the MOST difficult part with lots of curves but was virtually invisible when done. I used too much water spray (as it was my first attempt) and this made it even more difficult. I would suggest using the practice piece (supplied in the kit) on your car first. Practice makes perfect and by the third piece I was doing it like a pro with just the alcohol/water mist.

The pieces fit well and require careful placement so as not to run into overlap which is why test fitting (with the backing still on first) is recomended.

Being 3-M product the quality is good and once set will take some effort to remove, but short of serious effort (to damage) should keep the paint perfect. It is unobtrusive allowing your favorite color to shine through and if done well is hard to even see it on there. I took pictures but they are useless as I could not see the product edges in the pictures. Unless someone is looking really close neither will they. The material will scuff up from your leathers, etc. but can be waxed and polished just like paint.

For $29.95 when it gets scuffed up too bad you can replace it and your bike's paint will still be perfect underneath. Well worth the investment, and much cheaper than new paint, or for that matter some of the other alternatives available.

It does not however, offer much in the way of grip like a "Stompgrip or Techspec" product. It does however allow you to grip the tank with your leathers without fear that you are scratching your lovely paint job.

I could have had the pros do this for me. The local place that uses this same product wanted $150.00 to do the job and I would have had to leave the bike for the afternoon (not likely). If you are considering this sort of product, GO FOR IT. Cheap insurance for your expensive paint. Give yourself lots of time for your first install and (read and follow) the directions. You will have no problem.

I will post a picture of the Kit and a couple of the tank when I get home tonight. :) If you look really close you can make out the edge of the film just ahead of the plastic piece at the tanks bottom edge.

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

Last edited:
Back