Tax time = Alpinestars 2pc suit :)

Well the tax man has been good to me and I have some dollars coming my way and with the approval from the lovely wife, I'm looking at ordering the Alpinestars TX-1 2pc suit in blue, the blue Alpinestars SP-8 gloves and if I can squeeze in a blue Shoei Raid II Lance helmet, I'll be set.

So, I just want to ask has anyone worn the TX-1 gear? I can't find it locally here but next week when I go to Sydney I'll try on some alpinestars gear at the dealership where I bought my bike from. Then I can order my gear.

Last edited:
Scotty, I upgraded to AlpineStars about 2 years ago and haven't looked back. I got the TX-1 jacket (touring jacket) but I mixed it with the track pants (complete with knee sliders). All the AlpineStar stuff uses standard zips and it zips together no problem. I got them from Bikebiz in Parramatta. They have a pretty good range and were willing to haggle but I would still shop around. 2 years on and very happy, no problems with the gear and the knee sliders are still in pristine condition (might have to get the angle grinder out).

Cheers Bluey :tup:

Scotty, I upgraded to AlpineStars about 2 years ago and haven't looked back. I got the TX-1 jacket (touring jacket) but I mixed it with the track pants (complete with knee sliders). All the AlpineStar stuff uses standard zips and it zips together no problem. I got them from Bikebiz in Parramatta. They have a pretty good range and were willing to haggle but I would still shop around. 2 years on and very happy, no problems with the gear and the knee sliders are still in pristine condition (might have to get the angle grinder out).

Thanks for that Bluey. I checked out Bikebiz and their prices are the same as anyone in Oz, albeit before haggling. But then I spotted the big internet shops in the US which are a few hundred cheaper even with postage and converison rates. So I decided to try on a few sets and work out my size then come home and order on line.
I have to drive to sydney monday or tuesday and pick up a few things from the bike shop in Kogarah, so I'll try on a set then.
I then found a european web site selling it all which ships to aust at a flat rate and turns out to be cheaper than US stocks.
fc-moto.de ships to aust for $25 and they have the Alpinestars TX-1 2PC 2008 for 470euros or $695aus. in my size and colour. Also Shoei helmets that are $700 here are $400 there and thats in aus $$$...

Scotty, that price for the AlpineStars gear sounds outstanding. I think I paid over $1K.

With regards to buying helmets overseas just be aware that helmets not only have to comply with Oz design standards but have to have the sticker to prove it. To quote the NSW RTA web site:
Motorcycle helmets
Helmet law
The NSW Road Rules 2008 requires that:

The rider of a motor bike must wear an approved motor bike helmet securely fitted and fastened on the rider’s head,
The rider of a motorbike must not ride with a passenger unless the passenger is wearing an approved motor bike helmet.
Helmet standard
An approved motor bike helmet is a protective helmet for motor bike riders of a type that:

Complies with Australian/New Zealand Standard AS/NZS 1698:2006 Protective helmets for vehicle users, as amended by Amendment No. 1 of 28 September 2007 and Amendment No. 2 of 27 May 2009; or
Is an earlier version of Australian/New Zealand Standard AS/NZS 1698 or Australian Standard 1698-1988 that was in force at the time of manufacture or importation; and
Has an identifying mark from a body accredited or approved by the Joint Accreditation System of Australia and New Zealand certifying compliance with an above standard.
Accredited companies
Accredited companies that certify motorcycle helmets can be found on the JAS-ANZ website.

As of May 2010, there are four JAS-ANZ accredited bodies that can certify motorcycle helmets to comply with AS/NZS 1698.

My bold. You could have two identical helmets come off the same production line with one bound for Oz with sticker (legal) and one going elsewhere without sticker (illegal). Pedantic I know but the cops do issue tickets for it and if it comes to fighting an insurance company trying to deny a claim, well better to be safe than sorry.

Scotty these are the lables that are currently acceptable.

As of May 2010, there are four JAS-ANZ accredited bodies that can certify motorcycle helmets to comply with AS/NZS 1698.

attachment.php

I doubt you'd find one on a helmet from overseas that was not specifically made for the Oz market.

Last edited:
Glad I went for a ride yesterday as I'm sitting at home today watching the rain come down. Scotty Scotty Scotty I see you have now ordered the RC-1 jacket complete with aerodymanic hump on the back. What happened to the more conservative TX-1? You will certainly look the goods tearing up the Putty! :sport12:

I do know that you will be very happy with the Alpinestars gear. :D

Cheers Bluey

Glad I went for a ride yesterday as I'm sitting at home today watching the rain come down. Scotty Scotty Scotty I see you have now ordered the RC-1 jacket complete with aerodymanic hump on the back. What happened to the more conservative TX-1? You will certainly look the goods tearing up the Putty! :sport12:

I do know that you will be very happy with the Alpinestars gear. :D

Cheers Bluey

Yeah I know :) but I compared the protection i get in my current dri rider jacket and I wanted the same shoulder protection in a leather jacket, so I forked out the extra $$$ for the RC-1. :sport12:
Glad I did too, I like the design of the RC-1 and track pants alot more than the TX-1.

Got my Jacket and Gloves yesterday :)

Got my Jacket and Gloves yesterday :)

myRC1front.jpg

myRC1back.jpg

Fit so well too!!!! :)

I'm still waiting on the pants and boots. Had to wait for new stock to come in.....

Last edited:
My Alpinestars 2009 Track Pants turned up this morning :)
Went for a ride too. They were a bit stiff but about 10 min's of riding fixed that and the rest of the ride was great! Even spotted a cop hanging around a popular roundabout, then less than a mile up the road some sucker in a Daihatsu charade goes flying past me, not long after that the cop in his new red unmarked highway patrol car flashes past me chasing him! I laughed so hard I almost fell off! :D
Anyway, the sizing of these leathers are spot on if you use Alpinestars charts on their web site! These came from germany for half the price here in Oz!
Just have to wait for them to order in the boots in my size for me to order.

RC1 Jacket and Track Pants1.jpg

RC1 Jacket and Track Pants3.jpg

Here are the boots I want

View attachment 3928

Back