Tbolt 4/9&10 2012

johnnyontherocks

The Cosmic Avenger
Tbolt April 9&10 2012

View attachment 10024Well I got here around quarter to twelve. It's unbelievably windy and not a chance of pitching a tent so I rented a garage for 40 beans. It will be the first time I sleep next to one of my bikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Have fun and ride safe. At work now and I will be on an airplane in the moring again heading out of town can't say I am not jealous of the amout of track riding your getting in this year so far.

At least you two were alone for the evening :poke:

What a change from running beginner group to moving into intermediate. My lap times dropped about 7 seconds on average, and my best lap by 6 seconds. I learned a lot from the coaching I received on Monday. I took a full day class that is aimed at riders that have been bumped to intermediate and it was free. I had 1 on 1 coaching most of the day. I know look at my line in a whole new way and get the idea of raising your vision which leads to better lines.

I had 2 big moments in the past 2 days. They were both kind of funny. Some of you you know Tbolt(Billy,Dave and Pete) Will have a better idea of the track layout for it to make complete sense.

Incident 1) Monday afternoon, after a very informative class session. I start really understanding my line and begin3 to get some great drives. I go through the first set of chicanes(T3a,b,c) better than I ever have. My drive out is really, really good. The next point of interest is a short piece of straight known as wheelie hill. Its a rise that plateaus. Normally I just get the front end light going over it.This time the combination of a little better speed and a really good drive out of 3C the motor was running in its sweet spot as I crest wheelie hill. Instead of my normal light front end I had a hugh wheelie at about 105. I get the front down and the bike goes into a immediate tank slapper just as a big gust of wind hit me and literally pushes me back. This causes me to crank on the throttle. My brain says John we are about to make love with the non-paved section on the track. Some how my eye managed to keep their focus on the apex and exit of T4. Normally I roll out of the throttle have decent body position and have a composed bike under me. something in my head say John just turn this train wreck. Some how the wobbling bike that has a rider slide back and barely holding on with a open throttle, I get the bike over and through T4 faster than I've ever gone before. From that moment on I dragged a little rear brake over wheelie hill. Still cant believe I made it, guess God really looks out for us fools.

Incident 2) Happened today. I'am coming out of turn 12 on to the straight roughly 110-115mph with a couple of bikes right behind me. Just as I get the throttle pinned some wonderful winged creature decides to defile my visor with some beautiful purple poop right in my line of vision. All I can see is bird poop. I have bikes right behind me so I can back out of the gas and I can't see enough to know if it safe to move off race line. I try to wipe it and it just gets worse. I miss my brake markers and when I notice that Im way deep my first real attempt at trail braking become necessary. I end up up on the curbing knee on the pavement and once again escape the dirt. I make it to the apex of T2 throw a hand up and get off line to the outside. A couple of bike pass me and I take a slow pace back to the pits. While cleaning the visor I decide that this is a good stopping point for the day.

All in all had a great couple of days and today marked my 1 year anniversary
of track days, Iam fully addicted.

Last edited:
Great stories Johnny...glad you were able to walk away unscathed. May be time to order a steering damper when you get back home ;)

Last edited:
Sorry I feel all I post any more is trackday pictures. Heres some of monday and tuesday.

Love this picture of the bike
RB8_8311.jpg

RB8_6253.jpg

Small improvements in body position.
RB8_8979.jpg

RB8_5661.jpg

Back