Technical dictionary

Not having a mechanical background (electronics) and english (let alone american-english) not my mother/father tongue, I'm struggling with a few technical terms and technical slang used by our american friends. It will be handy to explain some of the terms used in the technical section with layman terms :surrender::confused0024:

cat
flies
sag
cupping

I'll post more here when I come across

Feel free to add to the dictionary

Last edited:
Not having a mechanical background (electronics) and english (let alone american-english) not my mother/father tongue, I'm struggling with a few technical terms and technical slang used by our american friends. It will be handy to explain some of the terms used in the technical section with layman terms :surrender::confused0024:

cat
flies
sag
cupping

I'll post more here when I come across

Feel free to add to the dictionary

cat = catalytic converter; "gutting the cat" refers to removing the catalyst from the inside of the converter, resulting in a more free flowing exhaust.

flies = secondary flies .... most of the time we refer to these when talking about zip-tying them open, or removing them.

sag = refers to "Static Sag" or "Rider Sag" measurements taken when setting up the suspension. Setting the sag is a process of measuring the bike's suspension travel while uncompressed, under the weight of just the bike, and under the weight of the bike, rider, and gear. Setting the sag is the absolute FIRST thing that you should do on a new bike. It's basically the process of setting up the bike's suspension for your weight. The only settings that concern "sag" are preload settings front and rear.

cupping = This refers to the strange phenomenon that occurs with tire wear. It's characterized by the leading edge of tread being inconsistently worn with the trailing edge of tread. In other circles, it's known as "scalloping" this ofter occurs due to improper suspension settings, being hard on the brakes while heading into corners (while at slight lean/trail-braking) or by running incorrect tire pressures.

Let me know what else you want defined... I'll take care of it.

geesh Aaron, is there anything that you don't know?? Tried to make a stab this morning but I knew the "professor" would ring the bell for school.

I've got a long way to go on my journey to motorcycle Nirvana....

Adam

I've been around the game for a while man.... my father and I ran a Motorcycle shop for about 7 years.... so... I've been turning wrenches for quite some time.... you pick some stuff up over the years..

flies = secondary flies .... most of the time we refer to these when talking about zip-tying them open, or removing them.Let me know what else you want defined... I'll take care of it.

what exactly are these flies? is that the exup valve in the exhaust which will close at 7000rpm

the flies are part of the intake... if you take the airbox off, you'll see them... the EXUP is a different animal all together...

Here's a short little video on the flies.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSS7EU1bPQQ]YouTube - Gen 2 Yamaha FZ1 Subthrottle Plate Replacement[/ame]

I've been around the game for a while man.... my father and I ran a Motorcycle shop for about 7 years.... so... I've been turning wrenches for quite some time.... you pick some stuff up over the years..

No wonder the items you tackle are done with shop like efficiency and usually in the time a shop would take.

I've just got to find the time to finish!

Adam

No wonder the items you tackle are done with shop like efficiency and usually in the time a shop would take.

hmmm I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing.... but... we were pretty dang good... so I'll take it as a compliment...

The first time you do anything, it's going to take a lot longer, as it should... You don't want to rush through, and mess something up... after you do it though, you know how to better do it next time... as you're doing the job, you think, I should have loosened this first... or moved this out of the way.... and then next time you do the job, you remember that.... it's gotten to the point with the FZ where I can pull the carbs and install a jet kit, re-install and have the bike running in 40 minutes... but, that took doing 30-40 sets of FZ carbs... each time, I'm still finding out new stuff...

You'll get the hang of it... just don't be afraid to take things apart and experiment a bit.

anyone/anywhere a picture of the cat?

cat = catalytic converter; "gutting the cat" refers to removing the catalyst from the inside of the converter, resulting in a more free flowing exhaust.

hmmm I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing.... but... we were pretty dang good... so I'll take it as a compliment...

The first time you do anything, it's going to take a lot longer, as it should... You don't want to rush through, and mess something up... after you do it though, you know how to better do it next time... as you're doing the job, you think, I should have loosened this first... or moved this out of the way.... and then next time you do the job, you remember that.... it's gotten to the point with the FZ where I can pull the carbs and install a jet kit, re-install and have the bike running in 40 minutes... but, that took doing 30-40 sets of FZ carbs... each time, I'm still finding out new stuff...

You'll get the hang of it... just don't be afraid to take things apart and experiment a bit.

Yeah, I had a bit of the learning curve this past weekend -- I'm usually pretty good with remembering sequences, but I forgot some but I kept bouncing from front to back as I found more things to "get into". There were no leftover parts, but I had to backtrack a couple of times in order to finish the job.

Well, as always, your help and insight is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

Adam

attachment.php

Back