Testing Top Speed FZ1

Are we just limited to those speeds because it's considered a standard/naked bike? I mean comon 600 go faster than that, suzuki, honda, kawasaki, all the 600 sportbikes. I guess since we have an upright seating position we're not allowed to go faster, not that 154 isn't fast lol.

Yeah, I'm no physicist, but I'm afraid it comes down to aerodynamics at around 120+. A full fairing and a good tuck will get you more top speed than raw HP. (of course you need both)

I'm more than willing to give up 30-50 mph of top speed for a riding position my fat, old body can tolerate. Besides, I shouldn't go 150 anyway, so I'm kinda glad the FZ is held up by the wind (and I like the looks)

Yeah, I'm no physicist, but I'm afraid it comes down to aerodynamics at around 120+. A full fairing and a good tuck will get you more top speed than raw HP. (of course you need both)

I'm more than willing to give up 30-50 mph of top speed for a riding position my fat, old body can tolerate. Besides, I shouldn't go 150 anyway, so I'm kinda glad the FZ is held up by the wind (and I like the looks)

I think that's it more than anything. The naked bike, upright seating, and windshield felt like I was dragging a second bike with me at those speeds. If I put on a small windshield and tucked I know I could have got more out of her because the aerodynamics were killing her at that speed. But like you said, the bike is set up so I'm very comfortable so I'm not complaining.

As much as any biker likes to test his/her equipment, I try to do at least one track day at Phillip Island a month, I have often hit 150 MPH on the FZ (Falcon Speed Gun) The bike is stripped of all non essential weight, mirrors, lights, instruments and with a 30 MPH North Wind (at my back)

My Mechanic who is about the size of one of my bowel movements hit 167 but apart from being small he is also Irish.

I would never attempt that on ANY public road but to each their own, who am I to judge.

Everybody is saying what a great job he did, but this guy is a moron for doing those speeds on public roads. How many of these posters would be happy if their wives or daughters were in those cars as this squid plays around? Not many. We all have opened our bikes up on a long stretch of lonely road to see what it will do, but doing it in urban environment like this is dumb. There are plenty of tracks where you can see what your bike will do in a controlled environment. Do it there and not on public roads.

My two cents on the high speeds in traffic would just echo what has already been posted. I have a county road 15 mins. from me that my buds and I use for speed runs. 3 miles in a valley. Extended line of sight. NO DRIVEWAYS. Plenty of room to move away from the watchfull eye of John Law. I opened up the FZ a couple of times there. Indicated would go into the mid 160s. That means somewhere around 150. But like others have stated, naked bikes aint built for top speed. My friends Hayabusa and my former ZX12R on the other hand, just plain beg for that kind of fun. With his GPS mounted on the clamp and a snoot full of stupid, we had a go. Those two bikes were pretty evenly matched, although I have to admit the Busa started to have the slightest of edge around 160 indicated. When we rolled off the gas, I had seen 184 indicated on the 12. My pals Busa had shown 183. True speed per the GPS was 177. Fast enough for mortals. Nowadays my high speed antics are reserved for the occasional track day.

Well just because I had never done it on my FZ1...hit 150 MPH on a stretch of I-87 in NY early in the morning last week. This was with the speedo calibrated with the SpeedoDRD so it was accurate. Don't think it would have gone much faster since I had the Givi's mounted on the bike ;)

I just got my feelings hurt... A couple of weeks ago I went out with some of my hooligan friends (you know the type, they are in their early 30's and ride ZX-10's or R1's in full track suits and wheelie everywhere they go!) and on a lonely back country road I decided to hold the throttle open just to see what would happen.

In the past I always backed off at around 140-ish because going that fast seemed crazy but this time I held on and the speedo said 158! After reading through this thread I remembered that I had my GPS on at the time so I went and got it to see what MY max sped was...

It said I only went 146 :cry: I realy thought I was doing something there for a minute. Next time Im not going to look at the GPS and just stick with what the speedo says!!!

Coming off the last turn at TexasWorldSpeedway at about 40, I was able to get to 143 indicated before I felt the need to start slowing for turn one. All I know is it got there damn quickly and felt awesome in full tuck naked. What 160 would feel like I don't know, but I'd like to find out!

Food for thought: 1st time I tried that run at 135 it got freaky because there was wild head and side wind. That was the only difference, so aerodynamics and environment have a lot to do with it. This second try there was zero wind, and it was stable as a rock. Full fairings would make a huge difference for sure.

I need a 2 mile straight, or to be able to hit the entire oval at TWS! There is some strange urge calling for a top speed attempt... And a radar gun!

I think all us guys have that "stupid gene" for speed built into us. Most women are smart enough to leave it alone. Even Eric and I had to test the top speeds of the C14 and the FZ1 here in Florida. BTW, the FZ1 beats it. Too much drag on the C14 with side bags, a full fairing that protects your legs, and a bigass windshield. 700 lbs. didn't help either. The C14 is good for about 135-140 GPS. That same engine tuned a little different in the ZX14 gets to 187 before the limiter kicks in, as I understand it anyway. But don't let that top speed on the C14 fool you. It can pass anything under those speeds as well as the FZ1 and better than the FJR.

In a standing mile the FZ1 hits 157. This is through race calibrated traps. I think with an additional mile it would pull a few more mph, but not much more. The aerodynamics are not very good and above 160 you really need large amounts of hp.

Jeff - I'm hitting an indicated 155 on the R6 at TWS. The problem I'm having is my gearing is too short and I'm redlined in 6th just past the start/finish line. My front gear is stock and my rear gear is only one tooth larger so I think the indicated speed is pretty accurate. Honestly I don't think I want to go any faster into turn one! I'd need clean undies after each lap!

Yeah... I could maybe get out of the corner a little faster and maybe hit 150 but I'm only getting used to entering turn 1 at 100 so until I can enter a little faster, I'm slowing before I get near my redline. Sure would like to take it around the oval once!

Gears are stock - tires are street - rider's will = NOOB.....

I haven't really been bothered with testing the top speed of my naked FZ1, there's no point really.
Now my old K6 Gixxer thou, well that was another story ;)

153.2 seems slow for the 1000. I have seen 160 MPH indicated on mine (FZ-1) in TX, and there was still more throttle to give. Top speed is fun, but it's too risky for license and life. Even the Autobahn is getting regulated in most areas to sub-sonic speeds. SUCKS!

Actually been 157 on mine with throttle to go. I would like to top it out and see what it would really do.

Hill Country Opinions Match

Everybody is saying what a great job he did, but this guy is a moron for doing those speeds on public roads. How many of these posters would be happy if their wives or daughters were in those cars as this squid plays around? Not many. We all have opened our bikes up on a long stretch of lonely road to see what it will do, but doing it in urban environment like this is dumb. There are plenty of tracks where you can see what your bike will do in a controlled environment. Do it there and not on public roads.

We should not applaud nor celebrate bad judgement.

The only time I was WOT for top speed was on a deserted northern Nevada interstate (I-80?) late in the day and far from civilization when I hadn't seen another vehicle for many miles.

Even then, it may not have been the wisest decision I ever made.

At 150 MPH, a wandering jackrabbit can be a game breaker.

In a standing mile the FZ1 hits 157. This is through race calibrated traps. I think with an additional mile it would pull a few more mph, but not much more. The aerodynamics are not very good and above 160 you really need large amounts of hp.

Yea, given the HP that a modified FZ1 puts down it should be able to hit at least 170 MPH, but as you point out Pete the aerodynamics of the bike suck. For starters the windscreen is too upright. I wonder how much of a top-end improvement you'd see with something more aerodynamic like the Copperdog screen w/o any mirrors.

Aerodymics are the key, hp is much less of a factor. Given very good aerodymics, and a long enough straight even very low hp vehicles can get well into the triple digits.

Even with motor mods I don't think the FZ1 top speed would be much greater as the power required is huge.

Aprilia 50cc turbo:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYINrhTNiyM&feature=player_embedded]Buddfab 50cc Motorcycle streamliner - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Back