The gearing thread

Not that much surely cos the rear has to come off anyways ......

Magpie you can put a16t front sprocket on your old chain, sprocket to try it first before you spend big bucks on a new chain and sprocket . I'm sure someone could loan or give you an old one. I think if you went -1in the front or +2 on the rear you will be happy and you can stay with a stock chain. GOOD LUCK

Does one need to remove the footpeg to be able to change the front sprocket? Also any special tools needed, like a bolt lock or something?

Ahh now you got me i think i took mine off as the gear rod is in the way for the sprocket housing (plastic) but that was over 3 years ago if not the whole peg then just the gear rod.Maybe some one else with more memory can jump in.
Thanks lonney I have a way to go for my chain only 17500 miles but i live in England so postage might put some off.

Does one need to remove the footpeg to be able to change the front sprocket? Also any special tools needed, like a bolt lock or something?

You'll need to remove the shift rod only. The front locknut is a right hand thread while the rear locknut is a left hand thread.

Then remove the black cover.

Next you'll have to flatten the lock washer and then remove the sprocket nut.

I used a cordless impact drill with a 36mm socket to get it off. Others use a beaker bar with someone standing on the rear brake.

Make sure you leave the bike in neutral when doing either.

Last edited:
You'll need to remove the shift rod only. The front locknut is a right hand thread while the rear locknut is a left hand thread.

Then remove the black cover.

Next you'll have to flatten the lock washer and then remove the lock nut.
I used a cordless impact drill with a 36mm socket to get it off. Others use a beaker bar with someone standing on the rear brake.
Make sure you leave the bike in neutral when doing either.

Sent from my Nexus 5
Thanks man.

My mechanic said that 17\48 won't work. He had to pull the chain tensioner all the way back to fit the 48T sprocket With the 16T front. My chain has barely rolled 10.000km.
And the bike power wheelies in second gear.. Pretty wicked

Would an 18t work on the front of a gen 2? Thinking of doing thst for those iron butt runs to a destination then changing back to the 17t once there. I consider changing the front sprocket doable in the field

Would an 18t work on the front of a gen 2? Thinking of doing thst for those iron butt runs

I was wondering the same thing, but for taming the bottom end torque the super-charger kit will provide and lower the highway RPMs @ cruise.
4k RPM @ 75 mph would be nice.

Just installed a 46T rear to go with the 16T front. So far so good. Clutching up in second was easy. I'll return when I've been riding for more than 15 min..

Skickat från min HTC One_M8 via Tapatalk

What's going on my brother I have a 2008 Yamaha FZ1 we'd only six thousand miles on it when I bought the bike the sprockets are still o there a 16t front and a 47t rear with a 520 conversion kit. It is the right setup for quick acceleration but it is the wrong setup for Highway cruising my top speed was only 151 or 152 it was trickling between the two and I had to switch gears at 5,000 to 5500 RPMs because the gearing was so sharp that is not a good setup for highway speeds and I broke the chain on the way to Savannah Georgia to see my uncle when I was on vacation that is not a good setup because you have to switch gears too soon and it takes a long time to get to your top speed even through the quick acceleration it take longer to get to the top speed and I'm going back to a 530 chain because the chain I had on the bike snapped in route to Savannah on a back road miles away from civilization the 16/47 sprocket would be a great setup for someone who lives in a highly populated area or highly populated city to quickly move around vehicles and to quickly Accelerate from light to light if they were in a big city but if I was living in a rural place like Georgia South Carolina North Carolina Florida I would not do a 16 / 47 setup it's not worth it now I would say my gas mileage was great on a tank pool with 93 octane I managed to get a hundred and twenty eight miles to the tank then I realized I can run the bike off of 87 fuel but with the 16 / 47 sprockets the gas mileage is not so good with that setup I will attach pictures of my bike and the chain that snapped but I'm going back to the 16/45 tooth sprockets and a 530 chain that is the better set up for both acceleration and highway speeds God bless you brother. I have attached pictures of the bike and the chain that has snapped it is at my brother's house I put the 520 chain back on it for now until I order the new sprocket and chain kit.

Attachments

• 20200512_102407_HDR.jpg
    20200512_102407_HDR.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 30
  • 20200512_102422.jpg
    20200512_102422.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 30
  • 20200516_125420.jpg
    20200516_125420.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 27
  • 20200516_134112.jpg
    20200516_134112.jpg
    8.4 MB · Views: 26
I want to say that I changed my front down to a 16 tooth. I am happy with the bikes performance but be aware that it greatly effects the speedometer. I got one of those “Healtech” things and was able to fix it. Now the speedometer is much better and the gearing is fun.

I want to say that I changed my front down to a 16 tooth. I am happy with the bikes performance but be aware that it greatly effects the speedometer. I got one of those “Healtech” things and was able to fix it. Now the speedometer is much better and the gearing is fun.
i have a 16/45 works just fine Speedo is right spot on.

I went 16T in the front and love it! I may go 47T in the rear for even more low end. When I get my re-flash it should be a beast on wheelies :)

What's going on my brother I have a 2008 Yamaha FZ1 we'd only six thousand miles on it when I bought the bike the sprockets are still o there a 16t front and a 47t rear with a 520 conversion kit. It is the right setup for quick acceleration but it is the wrong setup for Highway cruising my top speed was only 151 or 152 it was trickling between the two and I had to switch gears at 5,000 to 5500 RPMs because the gearing was so sharp that is not a good setup for highway speeds and I broke the chain on the way to Savannah Georgia to see my uncle when I was on vacation that is not a good setup because you have to switch gears too soon and it takes a long time to get to your top speed even through the quick acceleration it take longer to get to the top speed and I'm going back to a 530 chain because the chain I had on the bike snapped in route to Savannah on a back road miles away from civilization the 16/47 sprocket would be a great setup for someone who lives in a highly populated area or highly populated city to quickly move around vehicles and to quickly Accelerate from light to light if they were in a big city but if I was living in a rural place like Georgia South Carolina North Carolina Florida I would not do a 16 / 47 setup it's not worth it now I would say my gas mileage was great on a tank pool with 93 octane I managed to get a hundred and twenty eight miles to the tank then I realized I can run the bike off of 87 fuel but with the 16 / 47 sprockets the gas mileage is not so good with that setup I will attach pictures of my bike and the chain that snapped but I'm going back to the 16/45 tooth sprockets and a 530 chain that is the better set up for both acceleration and highway speeds God bless you brother. I have attached pictures of the bike and the chain that has snapped it is at my brother's house I put the 520 chain back on it for now until I order the new sprocket and chain kit.
520 chain is too weak for the FZ1, as you found out...

520 chain should NEVER be used on an FZ1, PERIOD! NOT STRONG ENOUGH!

Back