There is a clicking sound under my seat

Broke_Dirty_FZ1

Does anyone know what the sound is? I recently bought the bike and it didn't begin making this sound until after I put the bike on a battery tender for a few days as I waited for parts. It now does it whether it has been on the battery tender or not.

It only happens when I turn the key to the on position and I can hear the fuel pump give a little prime and this soft clicking starts under the seat or right cover for a about three seconds. It then begins to slow down and stop. The bike starts perfectly, and while I don't know how old the battery is, I have load tested it and it works perfectly.

The sound is almost like the solenoid sound you get when your battery is near dead and you try to start your vehicle.

Does anyone know what the sound is? I recently bought the bike and it didn't begin making this sound until after I put the bike on a battery tender for a few days as I waited for parts. It now does it whether it has been on the battery tender or not.

It only happens when I turn the key to the on position and I can hear the fuel pump give a little prime and this soft clicking starts under the seat or right cover for a about three seconds. It then begins to slow down and stop. The bike starts perfectly, and while I don't know how old the battery is, I have load tested it and it works perfectly.

The sound is almost like the solenoid sound you get when your battery is near dead and you try to start your vehicle.

Don't sweat it brother, it's only your fuel pump. It's the clicking sound you hear when the pump is priming the float bowls. If the floats are full or you have just turned the key a second time, you may not hear the clicking the second time. Let the bike sit for a while and you'll hear it again. It's perfectly normal so don't worry. Only worry when you don't hear it on the first turn of the key. Remember, clicking is GOOD!

My son once told me that he kept hearing a noise coming from what he thought was under the seat while we were two-up riding. It wound up that it was just me! Too many bean burritos the night before I'm afraid.:shaking head:

I hope you are right. I have never heard a fuel pump that clicks, only whirrr or whine.

But I see what you mean, as the fuel pump is located external to the tank on the bike. I am not used to that.

I also wonder why it wasn't doing it before. I know you guys probably think it was and I just never noticed it, but I am extremely paranoid about little sounds. Either way, I guess I should be happy it is working properly.

Armed and Dangerous

My son once told me that he kept hearing a noise coming from what he thought was under the seat while we were two-up riding. It wound up that it was just me! Too many bean burritos the night before I'm afraid.:shaking head:

he could hear but not feel.......don't even throw any of the other senses in there.....

I hope you are right. I have never heard a fuel pump that clicks, only whirrr or whine.

But I see what you mean, as the fuel pump is located external to the tank on the bike. I am not used to that.

I also wonder why it wasn't doing it before. I know you guys probably think it was and I just never noticed it, but I am extremely paranoid about little sounds. Either way, I guess I should be happy it is working properly.

Don't worry, thats definitely the pump. You may have just not noticed it before. Trust me as I have just had an issue with some bad gas a few weeks ago and had the bike apart diagnosing potential causes. I had my pump in and out over three times and ran the gas through it externally into a jug to make sure it was operating properly. When the floats are empty, it will make that clicking noise very rapidly and then stop. Once the clicking stops, I know that the floats are full again. The noise is especially prominent for me in the morning when leaving for work. At 6:00am there is very little outside noise in my garage and you can hear it quite loud. Your fine, just enjoy the ride!

I had a laugh at myself moment yesterday. I have been looking for a 1999 R6 because it was my first sportbike and I would like to add one to the stable again.

I have only come across one '99 locally, but the guy wants $4500 for it, even though it is only worth $3005 according to NADA, so I went and looked at a 2001 model yesterday and took it for a ride. Sure enough, when I turned the key to the ON position, it started clicking under the seat.

Yup, it's just going through the process to show you it works and pump some fuel.

I just wanted to comment on the fact that a 99' R6 is selling for 4k in your are.... dubya tee eff! That's so much! Anything 2000 and less around here is 2500 and less. Anything pre-2000 around here doesn't seem to sell for anything over 3k. They ask for more, but they'd be lucky to get it.

Yup, it's just going through the process to show you it works and pump some fuel.

I just wanted to comment on the fact that a 99' R6 is selling for 4k in your are.... dubya tee eff! That's so much! Anything 2000 and less around here is 2500 and less. Anything pre-2000 around here doesn't seem to sell for anything over 3k. They ask for more, but they'd be lucky to get it.

That is the thing. They aren't selling for that much. It is just the only one in the area, and that is what this guy is asking for it. I tried to get him to see the day of light, but he claimed he wasn't going to give it away. He also said it had low miles with only 17,000 miles on it. :shame:

I may go for the 2001 model that I test rode, and which only has just shy of 10,000 miles on it. I just got off the phone with that guy a couple of hours ago and he said he would let it go for $3300 if I buy it this week.

I was thinking closer to $3100 since the front tire is a bit worn, and the chain is showing signs of wear.

I'm sure you could easily get it cheaper. People are always willing to go a lil cheaper. I sold my last bike for almost 1400 LESS than what I knew it was worth. Unfortunately for sellers... right now is a HORRIBLE time to sell, at least around here. Not just because winter is almost here but because no one is buying. The stubborn people aren't realizing that and wont budge. It's ok though because there were at least two of every bike selling when I was looking. Then I picked up this bike and haven't looked back :)

Back