Things to look for...and look out for?

OK, so I'm in the market for an FZ1 & have some questions. I've done some reading here & over on FZ1OA & haven't found my answers.

Mission: I'm 47 y/o, 6'3", 300 lbs & looking for something I fit, with enough power to haul my arse around & still be fun. Goals are commuting as well as some fun rides of a day or two in length. Not interested in the least in a Sportbike-type ride or posture. 'Sporty' is probably relative, but as it relates to "not a cruiser", I'm looking for a sporty yet comfortable bike.

Have ridden an old CB750-4 'back in the day', a KLR650 (present bike), and a R1200RT. Have sat on but not test ridden a Bandit & an FZ1 (Gen 2). Have read a bunch of reviews & comparisons, and have decided on the FZ1 with SW-Motech BarBacks (or different bars). (If Gen 1 bike, might not need them?)
Budget prefers a Gen 1 bike, but I may be able to make an early Gen 2 bike work.

I generally put some effort into suspension upgrades on my bikes for obvious reasons.

The Gen 1 look out for thread has been helpful:
http://www.998cc.org/forum/gen-i/1290-buying-gen-1-what-should-i-looking-out.html
But it's kinda the generic pre-purchase stuff.

VA_Rider & Polestar's notes in this thread was helpful:
http://www.998cc.org/forum/gen-ii/1265-what-differences-between-gen-1-gen-2-a.html
And it points me a little toward the Gen 1.

Some questions I've developed in all this reading:
-How many miles is too many on an FZ1 engine? 17K? 25K? I know it's maintenance (& usage) dependent, but I just need some relative calibration.

-I know each gen bike has it's issues, and I've read all about Ivan's kits (to correct each, I believe). But is there any "stay away from" years or possibly stay away from mods?

-For a guy my size is the Gen 1 steel frame better or worse (or same) than the Gen 2 Alum frame? I know the Gen 2 frame is stiffer.

-For my purpose (and location away from mountains) is a early Gen 2 EFI better or worse than a Gen 1 carb setup?

-There's plenty of threads on recommended mods, but I'm at a loss to find the recommended Suspension upgrades for a guy my size. Ohlins? I saw something about AK20's, but can't find out more info on what/how that helps.

-Ideally, I'd like to find a FZ1 FAQ, like my dear old KLR650 FAQ:KLR650 FAQ - is there such a reference for the FZ1 anywhere? (Google hasn't turned up anything)

Thanks in advance

For starters....
a more technincal analysis of the two bikes...

click here...

As for the mileage -- reports of 80k (if not more) are around with no signs of being babied. You take care of it, it'll take care of you.

Gen I has a sport position, but not quite as sporty as the Gen II.

As for Carb vs. EFI -- EFI allows you a more simplistic approach to tune the bike to your environment w/o having to tear into it (to some degree) to fine tune a carb --

Motorcycle Suspension by Traxxion Dynamics -- talk to Lee for the forks/rear shock (unless you get a Gen II, cannot rebuild the rear)

Out of order...

but as for the Gen I vs. II, if you can throw a leg over and take a quick spin, do it. You may find something more to your liking that really can't be experienced w/o going for a ride.

Adam

OK, so I'm in the market for an FZ1 & have some questions. I've done some reading here & over on FZ1OA & haven't found my answers.

Mission: I'm 47 y/o, 6'3\", 300 lbs & looking for something I fit, with enough power to haul my arse around & still be fun. Goals are commuting as well as some fun rides of a day or two in length. Not interested in the least in a Sportbike-type ride or posture. 'Sporty' is probably relative, but as it relates to \"not a cruiser\", I'm looking for a sporty yet comfortable bike.

Have ridden an old CB750-4 'back in the day', a KLR650 (present bike), and a R1200RT. Have sat on but not test ridden a Bandit & an FZ1 (Gen 2). Have read a bunch of reviews & comparisons, and have decided on the FZ1 with SW-Motech BarBacks (or different bars). (If Gen 1 bike, might not need them?)
Budget prefers a Gen 1 bike, but I may be able to make an early Gen 2 bike work.

I generally put some effort into suspension upgrades on my bikes for obvious reasons.

The Gen 1 look out for thread has been helpful:
http://www.998cc.org/forum/gen-i/1290-buying-gen-1-what-should-i-looking-out.html
But it's kinda the generic pre-purchase stuff.

VA_Rider & Polestar's notes in this thread was helpful:
http://www.998cc.org/forum/gen-ii/1265-what-differences-between-gen-1-gen-2-a.html
And it points me a little toward the Gen 1.

Some questions I've developed in all this reading:
-How many miles is too many on an FZ1 engine? 17K? 25K? I know it's maintenance (& usage) dependent, but I just need some relative calibration.

-I know each gen bike has it's issues, and I've read all about Ivan's kits (to correct each, I believe). But is there any \"stay away from\" years or possibly stay away from mods?

-For a guy my size is the Gen 1 steel frame better or worse (or same) than the Gen 2 Alum frame? I know the Gen 2 frame is stiffer.

-For my purpose (and location away from mountains) is a early Gen 2 EFI better or worse than a Gen 1 carb setup?

-There's plenty of threads on recommended mods, but I'm at a loss to find the recommended Suspension upgrades for a guy my size. Ohlins? I saw something about AK20's, but can't find out more info on what/how that helps.

-Ideally, I'd like to find a FZ1 FAQ, like my dear old KLR650 FAQ:KLR650 FAQ - is there such a reference for the FZ1 anywhere? (Google hasn't turned up anything)

Thanks in advance

I am 47, 235lbs and my 01' has no problem getting me up to triple digits in a hurry. I am partial to Gen1 bikes only because I like a carbbed bike and also the suspension is much more tunable. As for mileage, you can find both generations with very little miles at really good prices but to answer your question, Canonfuji (Member Here) has well over 80,000 miles on his 01' and she's still running like a champ. The motor is still tight and runs like a bat out of hell. It's all about how the bike was maintained. If taken care of properly, these motors will last 100,000 miles plus.

OK, so a bike with 17K miles isn't to be feared. Thanks.

Gen 1 is less sporty in riding position - probably better for me. Thanks.

As for EFI being easier to tune, I'm not sure I care. I'm at the stage in life where I'd rather ride than wrench. Should I care? (I've read about the FCE needs of the EFI system and the carbs needing tuning to work out a mid range issue). Either way, odds are a used bike will likely have this mod, or a guy like me likely won't care (47 y/o, not riding it like a sport bike)...so the question is: should I care?

There's a couple available on Craigslist nearby. I won't waste the sellers time until I have cash in pocket (gotta sell my KLR 1st). But I'm sure I can ride a Gen 1 for a short test ride. Not sure about a Gen 2.

Is there a suspension setup for big guys thread somewhere? I haven't found it (at least one with more answers than questions). Or a Racetech vs Traxxion comparison? If I do wind up with a Gen 2, I don't mine replacing the shock w/ a Works or Ohlins or the like. But cheaper is better, especially now.

So with a Gen 1 I don't need the $1000 AK20? What's a re-valve & re-spring F&R run on a Gen 1?

I'm strongly leaning to a Gen 1. And I'm still reading & it looks like I *do* care about the carb kit from what I'm reading.

Can I do the carb kit with stock exhaust? I'm *not* into a loud exhaust at all.

Aaron --

*clarification* -- I thought you could rebuild the front forks of Gen II, just not the rear shock?? did I miss something, or taking somehting for granted?

Adam

Back