Things to look for when buying a gen 1

I'm looking to pick up an 02 fz1 with 6 thousand miles on it this weekend.

Backstory- Afghan war vet owned, layed over and doctor told to get rid of it because of PTSD. It has an ohlins rear shock and ohlins steering stabilizer and muzzy exhaust, but doesn't have any holes for wire tying for racing in any of the bolts, owner says it wasn't raced.

It had an aftermarket lower fairing on it that took the scrapes (don't really care for the look of it anyways). I had him send a bunch of pics and everything looks fine except a few scrapes on muffler foot peg and bar end.

I'm going to check welds for cracks, make sure forks aren't bent or twisted. Look at wheels for damage. According to the seller it is all A OK and drives great.

What are some things I should pay attention to besides this? :dontknow:

I've you tubed some videos of gen1's iddling and revving to get an idea for how they are supposed to sound.

At six thousand should the valves need to be adjusted yet?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions. I've been wanting to get one of these for a long time!

What's he asking for it? That's a very nicely farkled first gen! At 6000 miles, there should be nothing that needs done. Even the original chain and brake pads should be ok, so long as he lubed and maintained everything.

Assuming these haven't been serviced recently:

Change the brake lines & fluid
Change the fork oil (no idea about servicing the Ohlins though)
Change the oil
Fresh fuel

Off you go :)

Things to look for 2002 FZ 1

Mine is a 2004 ( same as 02)with 58,000 mi on it. Never had a problem. Valves were looked at at 30,000 and did not need adjusting. At 57,000 mi adjusted valves and syncronized carbs. Manual calls for valve checks at 26,600 mile intervals. My recommendation is to ride it, check the steering head and see if you can shake the front wheel while on the centerstand. If it stays straight going down the road and runs fine snatch it up.

Back