throttle surge

I have an 08 FZ1 completely stock. I have noticed the throttle surge that a lot of guys here talk about but I have not made any mods. It does not seem to sputter but only speed up for a brief second. I first thought it was just me unknowingly twisting the throttle but now I am not sure. This is only noticiable at a constant 3k-4k. I bough this bike used 1 month ago with 600
miles and now has 1600 miles. What should I look at.

I have not heard of carbureted versions (Gen 1) having surging problems, but I have read many posts, and magazine articles about surging problems with both the FZ6 and second generation FZ1. For about two model years in a row Yamaha has listed new features as improved fuel mapping on the FZ6. I heard they didn’t get it right on the FZ6 until the 2008 models. I have also read about surging problems on other FI bikes, but seldom an issue with carburetors.

Last edited:
I have the Gen 1 bike (2001) and have battled this problems for some time. I have found that Yamaha tends to set their bikes up with a VERY lean state-of-tune and sometimes the throttle position sensor is set incorrectly. When I add in a little choke at a steady throttle position, my surging stops. I have surging from 3K to 6k rpms. I am purchasing Dale Walkers Holeshot Stage 1 Jet Kit for $100 (easiest to install I'm told), AIS Removal Kit (I own a Ca. bike with excessive air emissions crap on it), and I just found a very nice after market Yoshimura pipe I will throw on the bike. The Jet 1 kit is supposed to work with the stock pipe too....so on trip, I run the stock exhaust can to keep the decibels down. For Gen 1 models, these upgrades are practically essential to stop the surging problem AND have the engine run a lot cooler with less exhaust restrictions. Great bike though otherwise. I'm very pleased so far and I have owned nearly 60 motorcycles in my riding career. The FZ1 REALLY IS a do it all bike...as advertised!!! Good luck with your surging solution.

I have the Gen 1 bike (2001) and have battled this problems for some time. I have found that Yamaha tends to set their bikes up with a VERY lean state-of-tune and sometimes the throttle position sensor is set incorrectly. When I add in a little choke at a steady throttle position, my surging stops. I have surging from 3K to 6k rpms. I am purchasing Dale Walkers Holeshot Stage 1 Jet Kit for $100 (easiest to install I'm told), AIS Removal Kit (I own a Ca. bike with excessive air emissions crap on it), and I just found a very nice after market Yoshimura pipe I will throw on the bike. The Jet 1 kit is supposed to work with the stock pipe too....so on trip, I run the stock exhaust can to keep the decibels down. For Gen 1 models, these upgrades are practically essential to stop the surging problem AND have the engine run a lot cooler with less exhaust restrictions. Great bike though otherwise. I'm very pleased so far and I have owned nearly 60 motorcycles in my riding career. The FZ1 REALLY IS a do it all bike...as advertised!!! Good luck with your surging solution.

I just realized what you said. If your in California and looking to remove the A.I.S. Pump, just make sure that you won't have any problems when you go for inspections. Here in NY we only have a safety inspection and not emissions. Not sure how the process is in Cali.

Back