Ticking sound

speedjunkie

when I start my bike there is a metalic ticking sound that emanates from the front of the exhaust. It disappears after the bike warms up. I was sure it was a loose exhaust clamp (not) but am now worried its a symptom of a more serious problem. I had a loose spark plug boot but after tightening it up the ticking appears to stilll be there. Any thoughts

thx

when I start my bike there is a metalic ticking sound that emanates from the front of the exhaust. It disappears after the bike warms up. I was sure it was a loose exhaust clamp (not) but am now worried its a symptom of a more serious problem. I had a loose spark plug boot but after tightening it up the ticking appears to stilll be there. Any thoughts

thx
The valves may need adjusting,how many klms/miles do you have on the bike?

Last edited:
When was the last time you removed, inspected, and greased your EXUP Valve?? It should be done every 11,000 miles or so. If your answer is "never", then I suggest you service it. Sometimes the bushings wear a little and it causes some rattling in the exhaust. Or it could be loose as well and make the same noise. Just a thought because the EXUP is a piece that is forgotten about often.

Thanks for the feedback. I serviced the exup valve about 1,200 miles ago. It almost sounds like a bolt rattling somewhere inside the pipe. The thing is the noise goes away once I've driven it abit.

Thanks for the feedback. I serviced the exup valve about 1,200 miles ago. It almost sounds like a bolt rattling somewhere inside the pipe. The thing is the noise goes away once I've driven it abit.
That`s the reason I suspected a loose valve clearance ,this happen`s in a lot of vehicles noisy when cold,once warm, noise goes away due to expansion and more oil pumped up to the top of motor.If the problem can not be found, I still would not discount a noisy valve even if the valves have been checked as some mechanics leave valves that are a little on the loose side if they aren`t making a noise.Saying all this, I hope it just a simple thing and a easy fix

I had the same ticking sound on my 2005 FZ1, i tightened the cable for the EXUP valves to 1.5-2 mm play. It made the ticking go away. That is a super easy quick fix. I just did it and it took me like 15 mins...I also noticed more torque and less slow speed sputtering.

Have you checked your chain tension?
NO KIDDING - that is a major source of noise on bikes. Easiest way to check it is to lift the bottom of the chain and try to touch the bottom of the swingarm. It should barely touch.
With that being said - every bike is different and this is far from an exact science but I would put money on the chain. A good clean and lube never hurts.

Back