Tire Art

Eric Lawson

Was at my local Cycle Gear today and saw these paint pens for you tires called 'Tyreart'. I've always liked the look of raised colored lettering on tires so for $9 i figured why not try. Pens come in White, Yellow, and Red, and claim to be permenent, but time and a good washing will tell. Anyways the pen was easy to use on my stock Dunlops and results look convinceing.

The trick

Was at my local Cycle Gear today and saw these paint pens for you tires called 'Tyreart'. I've always liked the look of raised colored lettering on tires so for $9 i figured why not try. Pens come in White, Yellow, and Red, and claim to be permenent, but time and a good washing will tell. Anyways the pen was easy to use on my stock Dunlops and results look convinceing.

Looking good.

The trick is the rubber has to be raw, as in clean. I have done many a big truck tire. After the first ride it may look cracked and chipped. If so a second touch up does the trick. With Motorcycle tires you don't have to worry about contamination unless the tires are brand new. If so dampen a rag with brake clean and clean the lettered areas, then wash thoughly and let dry. The lettering paint will work great then. Eric if you want to get real fancy outline the raised areas in red to match the bike. See how steady a hand you have.:cheers:

Last edited:
Yeah my hand seemed to get shakier with each side of the tire, ha! I cleaned it first with some tire/wheel cleaner and applied two coats so hopefully it wont crack. I think tire makers should offer the option of lettering, its a nice touch. I will update after a good ride and wash.

pressure

Yeah my hand seemed to get shakier with each side of the tire, ha! I cleaned it first with some tire/wheel cleaner and applied two coats so hopefully it wont crack. I think tire makers should offer the option of lettering, its a nice touch. I will update after a good ride and wash.

Bike tire sidewalls don't flex like car or truck tires so you should be fine. If you are like me you use a bucket and garden hose to wash. No where near enough pressure in a garden hose to worry about washing off the paint. It should look cool when you are moving.

Back