tire size

I purchased a michelin pilot power 180/55/zr17 for my fz1 the tire on it is a 190/50/zr17 does this mean that the new tire is a little slimmer and not as tall? if thats the case ill try it a slimmer rear tire could mean better handeling?i tried reading other posts and nothing was said about handeling

thanks

Lonney

I believe the tire may be a little taller and make lean in better. I was considering going to a 190/55 for my next tire. I came off a 180/55 on the Fz6 and lean in was so much easier and I think it is in part due to the tire. Someone posted a pretty cool pic on here showing the different shape of the 3 tires drawn with just some colored lines. I'll try to remember the thread.

If 180mm is the width and the aspect ratio is 55%, it's 99mm "tall"
If 190mm is the width and the aspect ratio is 50%, it's 95mm "tall"

Tall actually refers to the sidewall height.

Your new tire is 10mm narrower and a 4mm taller.

*edit: can't believe nobody called me out on having the tires backward.

Last edited:
It also depends on the width of the wheel itself. A tire shape (height included) is determined, in part, by the tire width in relation to the wheel width

I've had 190's on my FZ1 before but I don't remember if they were 190/50' or 190/55's. I couldn't tell any difference out on the open road compared to the 180/55's that are spec'ed for the GEN I (2001-2005).

The trade-off is supposed to be between traction and better turn-in. 190/50's give more traction than 180/55's. 180/55's turn in quicker. So now they have 190/55's which supposedly will give you the best of both worlds. That's on a 6-inch rim. It makes for a taller profile.

My 2003 FZ1 with a 5.5 inch rim doesn't use up a 180 section rear any quicker than a 190 section rear. So, I would opt for the 180/55 for better manners in the twisties. Out on the open road, even with big horse power numbers at the rear wheel, nobody is really maxing out the full potential of a 180 let alone a 190.

Just as an aside; Several years back, I needed a tire to get me through the winter and went with a Dunlop 220 radial. It was a decent rain tire in it's day. It didn't have to come up to temp to work as expected, the rear tread was deep and cleared out well as far as wintery road crap and sand and gravel. Of course, I wasn't planning on leaning it over in the corners in the Colorado Rockies in the winter. I just kept the bike bolt up-right and got 3 months out of the Dunlops. They barely fit with the hugger on, but they did fit. They were comfy.

180vs190.jpg

My thought on this was the 190/50 tire is ideally designed for a 6" rim with its 10mm wider width. If its used on a 5.5" rim the profile arc will likely closer to the 180/55. I have 2 FZ gen 1's....one with a 180/55 and the other a 190/50. Tomorrow I 'm going to take a piece of wire and bend it round the profile of the 180/55 then compare it to the 190/50 just to see how much difference there is and get back with some photo's

Last edited:
Back