Too rich? Or tps? Need help asap

fazernoob66

02 completely factory fz1
Fully ivanized by pats instructions word for word. Removed ais, blocked off carb coolant, dropped in a k&n and started it up. Got carbs synced with my home made sync,
a6cd0f55-116d-4550.jpg
. This is the closest I could get it. I have yet to adjust the tps as ivans instructions said, getting special torx in a little while. It starts and idles fine, at 4k rpm it acts like it's way too rich and chokes. At around 3k, it will get a stutter that almost kills is while just cruising. Any ideas? Call 479-366-5277. Need this beast running asap!

This may be my technologicaly challenged brain working here, but wouldn't the curve in the two outer lines on that home made device account for the differance. Looks pretty darn close to me.

I wonder if the way you built that would yield accurate results. The different lengths of hose must affect the reading in a negative way.

This looks more like what you would expect to see from an accurate home-brew:
dsc00735eq8.jpg

Well, the carbs looked sync'd just fine. I'm not sure if the TPS is going to change things all that much. It may be my old brain cells, but I'm almost positive that Depending on which kit you bought, it may be that 1, you still have a stock can on the exhaust, or 2, you have the K&N Filter instead of keeping the stock one. If you have the same kit as me, it is meant to have the stock air filter along with the slip-on can. The only reason I'm telling you this is because I was there alongside Ivan when he did my kit and the bike throttled up fine as soon as the carbs were reinstalled and before he adjusted the TPS. That was the last thing he did after everything was buttoned up. Also, are you sure you backed out your mixture screws correctly?

Dustins right about your hoses and though I never did this myself I got a bud who does and syncs bikes at crusing speed or in this case around 4kish witch will make idle a little rouph but the fizzers idle at bout 1200 er so, don't think it will be a issue.
That being said once again ive only watched this being done and probably couldn't do much more than look dumb trying to do it myself

The home built hoses are exactly the same length. Got the special torx to adjust tps, started it up and it ran better? Before I adjusted it. Sitting, it won't idle worth crap. There Is a big drop in idle when you mess with the idle adjust screw. It's idling about 1700 or so now, any less on it and it about dies. Took it on the road, all it wants to do is die. Any kind of engine load, it chokes and misfires like crazy. Barely made it down the street, turned right back. Just sitting it revs to redline just fine. I did mark and turn out the fuel mix screws 5 turns.

Are you sure the carbs are seated properly and you have no air leaks? The TPS only affects the ignition timing and EXUP valve operation on these bikes so even if it was off a little bit it wouldn't make the bike run so bad. Sounds to me like you have a lean condition...

Are you sure the carbs are seated properly and you have no air leaks? The TPS only affects the ignition timing and EXUP valve operation on these bikes so even if it was off a little bit it wouldn't make the bike run so bad. Sounds to me like you have a lean condition...

Floats are set to 14 mm as instructed by Ivan.

Think I found the problem, I'll just post later if it works. Don't want to get laughed at too bad....

Hey we all make mistakes and have done "dumb" things at one point or another while working on our bikes/cars. Hopefully whatever you discovered was the issue and you'll be back on the road soon. And as long as you can take it we wont laugh too hard, I promise ;)

kinked fuel line??

I'm about to go down this very road within the next day or two....

I will say that on the removal of my stock carbs, I was suprised to see what I saw. Not that I know alot about carbs, but the airbox was 'wet' with fuel, the connection of the carbs to the air box had dirty/murky fuel and the connection of the carbs/engine had similar dusty/murky residuel fluid.

Hopefully you've found the fix, and here's to any advice you have to offer so that I do not end up on the same path....

Adam

Ok, i will reveal it! I didn't put the spacers back on the needles! :suicide. When you do the mod and have the bike apart anyway, definitely remove the ais and carb coolant lines. It makes the engine look 10000 times cleaner. Its an easy job too.
a6cd0f55-314c-d785.jpg

Live and learn baby!, Live and learn. Not a big deal. It will make you even more proficient at removing the carbs for next time. Next time you fire her up with the spacers in, shoot some video!

There's a reason why I take photos from a distance ;) I try my best, I really hate having a dirty disgusting bike but I'll never be able to have such beautifully clean bikes like some of you guys do!

I guess that's one of the advantages to living in a great sunny area instead of a place that rains 50 inches a year :D

Back