Top Speed?

hey guys, I have a '09 FZ1 all stock, and just curious what the supposed top speed that it's supposed to have/ya'll have gotten to is. I've pushed mine to around 155 and it felt like it had a bunch more to go.. anyone know?

I've pushed my stock '07 to 153-158 indicated, which should be about 10% higher than real. I've always meant to use a GPS to get a true ground speed, but haven't as of yet. This was all with me weighing over 300lbs and a large windshield at the time. It didn't feel like it had any left, but the tach was at 10,500 or 11,000 (can't remember). I'm sure my shear bulk is the main issue, :shame: but I did buy my FZ1 used and I'm only assuming it has stock sprockets. Of course, I've heard others speculate that since the FZ1 can't seem to max out the RPM's in top gear (I assume due to poor aerodynamics with lack of a full fairing), the sprocket reductions might actually increase top speed rather than decrease it, as logic would dictate, because of higher revs and more power at the critical wind increase.

But hey, after 120 or 130 the wind seems so strong, I think it get uncomfortable. Not to mention that Johnny Law :nono: is cracking down in IL. :cuss: Starting this year, 30mph over is now $1500 and I think 40mph over is $2500 with jail time... (65 is the max speed in IL, so triple digits are looking expensive, unless I switch to KPH! I don't think I'll be stopping if I see blurry red and blue lights streak by. :hellno:

I had my Gen I showing about 275~km/h indicated which translates to 170mph on a slight downhill. I didn't have my GPS on at the time but I have checked it before while on highway trips and it was off by only 2-3% at speeds under 100mph. I was surprised to see that the speedometer was reading exactly what the GPS was showing when doing city speeds!

I imagine when speeds get much higher, the difference increases though. Even if it was only a 5% difference (which it was probably more), that would have made my 170mph indicated just a hair above 160 which seems more realistic.

Last edited:
Stock FZ1 will go 154-157 MPH actual, not indicated. Aerodynamics just don't favor this bike's upright windscreen...

Last edited:
So if I'm looking to be able to push more than 160.. prob would have to be a windscreen, lover fairing, exhaust, PCIII, and a buncha other stuff? or would the ole' R1 engine not be able to pull enough to get it there..

p.s. im only 165lbs at 6'1'' if that makes a diff.

Last edited:
So if I'm looking to be able to push more than 160.. prob would have to be a windscreen, lover fairing, exhaust, PCIII, and a buncha other stuff? or would the ole' R1 engine not be able to pull enough to get it there..

p.s. im only 165lbs at 6'1'' if that makes a diff.

A more aerodynamic screen such as the Copperdog or Magical Racing one will certainly help. A modified FZ1 (PC III, exhaust, air box mod, etc.) should be able to do about 165 MPH actual ;)

With a bigass California Scientific windscreen, loaded saddlebags and tailbags, I hit 149 indicated and 138 actual on my 2009 FZ1. There was a slight head wind that day. With a sportier windscreen, no bags, and no headwind I believe I could have gotten to 150. My throttle was wide open that day as well.

What's gone unsaid in this thread is how stable the Gen II is at speed. My bike is as stable at 150 mph as 100 mph as at 75 mph. :sport12:

Well compared to the latest crop of sport bikes our FZ1 has "conservative" rake and trail numbers so you would expect it to be stable.

Speedo up to 156 completely stock. had a little left.

Very stable at speed. I'm 6'2 225 LBS.

book says 174 mph on my 2009 but I don't think so.

What's gone unsaid in this thread is how stable the Gen II is at speed. My bike is as stable at 150 mph as 100 mph as at 75 mph. :sport12:

Yep, rock stable. The wind does do its best to try to pry your legs off the bike at that speed but the bike cuts through the wind like a knife.

I'm supprised at these numbers. I'm on a Gen I (fully stock as far as I know) and I felt the bike starting to top out at 141 mph. Granted I'm 6'5" and 320lbs, but I didn't think it had much left to give.

Wind speed on the helmet was a bitch though at those speeds.

Back