Touring and Fuel Range Improvements?

Ruggybuggy

So did my first longer ride on the FZ1 since I got it and looking at some ways to improve the range. The bikes an '06 with very low miles. The only mode in terms of performance is a slip on. The best distance I could do was about 230kms (142 miles) and the last bar would start to blink. I was riding very conservatively with speeds around 90-100 kms (55-60 mph) and no wind. So would a power commander with different maps help? How about an ignition programer? How about reflashing the stock module?

Yes the basic stuff has been checked (air filter, tire pressure, plugs, etc).

when I need the utmost fuel range, Im very careful to "pack the tank". Once the nozzle clicks off, I can put in another 1/2 gallon. I belive that the most that I have gotten was 170 miles.

Terdog's advice is good. Take an extra 5 minutes to fill it to the brim and you'll get anextra litre plus in there.
The power commander and ignition module haven't helped my range as the performance benefit is too much fun and resulted in a consistent 15% less. In general the maps are all richer anyway.
As to the reserve flashing, at 100km/h you ought to have 45km left minimum before spluttering to a halt.

When I filled the tank it was on the center stand and put in as much as possible. I rode from my town to another town and one way is approx. 142 miles. Filled up again on the center stand and much as possible and rode back home and when I got to my house the last bar just started to flash. I can't imagine going more than 142 miles. I was surprised to see how bad the fuel sending unit is out. At around 100 miles I was still reading a half tank.

I read somewhere that the maps on the 06-07 bikes are rich so I thought maybe a map was available to lean it down at cruising RPM's but have some performance at higher RPM's and with a better ignition timing curve.

Ruggy Buggy, I had the same thoughts a few months back and there was some good discussion on this thread.

I've personally found my range to be around 135-140 miles (the light comes on around there and I could push another 10-15 but I dont' want to find out how long it will blink.

The biggest improvements for my mpg have been the following:
1. Losing weight (off both the bike and myself)
2. Throttle Body Sync (before I did this I was only getting about 110 miles before the light started coming on, after I've been consistently up around 130)
3. Switching to 87 instead of 91 fuel. Actually not using Chevron and cheap old Arco/AMPM gave me the best fuel range.
4. Switched to iridium plugs, mileage seemed to go up by about 3-5 miles per tank so about 1-1.5 MPG.
5. I ride aggressively at every opportunity, so I can't say anything about being a smooth rider, but I probably could get another 2-5 MPG if I tried.

http://www.998cc.org/forum/gen-ii-garage-tech-help/16990-how-improve-mpg-my-2009-a.html

Yeah...lowest grade fuel it will run will get you more miles to the tank. Also no ethanol if you can find gasoline without it. Ethanol ups the octane rating, but at the expense of mileage. As for octane rating, lower octane gasoline contains more energy than higher octane rated gasoline.

And stay away from tuning mods, they really can hit your fuel consumption hard!!
My 2010 pulled 40-41 UK mpg standard, this went up to 42 with end can/airbox/BMC filter/TB juicebox pro, and lean slip on map from TBR. I did a 'touring style' ride and the fuel comp went up to 49 mpg, but that was incredibly boring and not what the bike is for:doh2:.

I modded the flies, blocked the AIS and put on an appropriate map. The bike goes like a steam train:tup:, but fuel consumption is now 38-39 UK mpg no matter how gentle I ride:tdown:. Tried several maps, but they all come within 1-2 mpg, with varying power and some odd running results.:deadhorse:
I've come to the conclusion that this bike is for riding like a comfy sports bike, not really touring orientated.:sport12:

Got myself an FZS600 for covering miles. 70mpg!! :jaw drop:

Thanks for all the replies. I did have a FZ6 and did enjoy the mileage but I realize I'll never get that kind of mileage. My primary goal is to extend the range because I do a tour once a year of about 3-4,000 miles.

So it looks like I'll be in the market for a programmer. Is the Power Commander the one to get or is the TB Juicebox just as good. I read somewhere that the TB can use Power Commanders maps. Also I was on Ivan's site and a little confused. Does he reprogram the stock ECM? Why is the Power Commander needed and will the TB Juicebox work just as well? He mentions getting an ignition module, is it worth the money for the gains. I've seen them for over $300 for the PC ignition module and read somewhere it's only 1hp gain.

Thanks for all the replies. I did have a FZ6 and did enjoy the mileage but I realize I'll never get that kind of mileage. My primary goal is to extend the range because I do a tour once a year of about 3-4,000 miles.

So it looks like I'll be in the market for a programmer. Is the Power Commander the one to get or is the TB Juicebox just as good. I read somewhere that the TB can use Power Commanders maps. Also I was on Ivan's site and a little confused. Does he reprogram the stock ECM? Why is the Power Commander needed and will the TB Juicebox work just as well? He mentions getting an ignition module, is it worth the money for the gains. I've seen them for over $300 for the PC ignition module and read somewhere it's only 1hp gain.

Power Commander makes the Juice Box for Two Brothers. Two Brothers just slaps their sticker on it. If I remember correctly the sales manager told me that it is the Juice Box Pro is a Power Commander V.

You can load up to 10 maps on the JB pro, and as far as I can remember from reading the pc website, you can load 2 maps on the pc5, and get a bar mounted switch to change them on the go. (i could be wrong here):what:
The JB pro, you have to stop the bike and change maps on the tuning box.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

I can't tell you anything about the TB JuiceBox. Ivan's ECU re-flash takes care of the timing restrictions and then he provides a map based on your set-up. No Ignition Module needed with the re-flash. The gains in 1st-3rd gear are huge making the bike easier to ride.

To summerize:

Re-flash
Power Commander or equivalent
Ride

I rode down into Sacramento today (DRs appt). Mostly 75-80 mph on the freeway. A bit of stop light GP :Rockon: for good measure. I have just changed my gearing to 17-48, and running Dukens PERFECTION MAP with the AIS blocked, flies removed, BMC/LARS and full YOSH running the cheapest (Safeway) 87.
I was paying particular attention to my MPG/ reserve mileage.

I went on reserve at 144 miles, put in $5 to get me closer to home for my fillup. When I filled up at 192 miles, I got 38 mpg. I know that I can do better if I could slow it down on the slab. :teeter:

High Speed on the open road kills your gas mileage massively.
I did a test in a work car a couple of months ago (BMW530d) at various speeds, reset the fuel computer at each speed and did 10 miles at 50,60,70,80,90 and the magic 100.
At 50mph it did 58mpg,
60mph it did 52mpg,
70 it did 47mpg,
80 it did 39mpg,
90 it did 32mpg,
100 it did 25mpg!!!
I know its a car, but it just shows how much it affects your fuel mileage

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

I did the same exercise with my old BMW 528e, and got similar results. This car has very short duration, short overlap cams. Basically the slower you go, the better the mileage, due to not "pushing" air out of the way so quickly at low speeds, and some frictional factors.

I have done the same experiment with my stock 2008 FZ1. At a steady 60 MPH (very boring) for an entire tank of gas, I got 43 MPG. Then at 70 I got 40 and at 80 I got 39 and 90 was about 38. My second generation FZ1 seems to get fairly consistent MPG, without much penalty for riding faster, so not much incentive to go slow.

If it were only getting more like high 40s in MPG, instead of 40, I would be thrilled. I know my mileage is better than most are getting, probably since I keep the RPMs down. The bike is designed for performance, but it still seems that the air/fuel ratio might be a little bit rich. I would love to know just what the air/fuel ratio is when riding on the highway at a steady 70 MPH.

FWIW: On my (low-mileage, stock) ’06, the best I’ve calculated is 44-45 mpg highway (65-75 mph range.) The stock rear-sprocket is 45-teeth, and currently for normal city/commute, I’m running a 47-tooth rear for a bit better off-the-line power. But I also have a 42-tooth “highway” sprocket I use for 1000+ mile trips.

While I believe the calculated mileage is the same (due to how the speedo works off the tranny??) you are actually going further -getting better mileage - running the 42-tooth sprocket. I also like the few-hundred less rpm @ cruise as it gets “buzzy” over 5000 rpm.

(Side note – I’m able to run the stock chain/front sprocket with either the 47 or 42-tooth rear, with the 47 being adjusted right at the limit with the rear tire as far forward as possible. The 42 still has several rearward adjustment “ticks” left in the axle locating “blocks.”)

I just finished a 160 mile run at 60mph and 4K rpm yesterday. Fuel economy was 38.5mpg. Stock everything except a taller windscreen. Rider is 182 pounds and 25 pounds of baggage.

Back