Track Tire Pressures

3B43

I'm going to do my first track day in 3 weeks and am going to put a set of Dunlop Q2's on my bike. What kind of tire pressures should I run? I'm headin' to Thunder Hill for my 'first' outing.

On my R6 I run my Q2s at 29 to 30 in my front, 27 to 28 in the back. They stick like glue.

As the day gets warmer I bleed a couple of pounds out.

The rule of thumb is begin with your tires at the above pressure first thing in the morning. Ride you first session and you are looking for a 4 pound increase in pressure. Less than that remove air, more than that increase air.

At the better track events there is often a tire retailer, ask him for help if you need it. Those guys are great.

I'm going to do my first track day in 3 weeks and am going to put a set of Dunlop Q2's on my bike. What kind of tire pressures should I run? I'm headin' to Thunder Hill for my 'first' outing.

I'm running Q2s on my FZ1 for track use.

I ran 30 in the back and 31 in front for a few track days, but switched to 29/30. The difference was quite noticeable, but so was the wear. At the lower pressure, the rear is shot on the left side (Jennings is mostly lefts) after around 100 laps.

For me, that's two days. If they have a tire guy there, you can flip them--mount them backwards. That evens up the wear and you'll get a little more out of them. I see Thunderhill is mostly lefts, too, and fairly technical. You'll chew them up pretty good.

If if it's as hot as it has been, you'll see 120 to 130 out on the track, I'd bet. They don't seem to get too greasy, but watch for that. Q2s on the FZ1 give plenty of warning before the let go.

At the track, they will tell you to hydrate. A lot. Do that, because dehydration can lead to brain fade and mistakes.

Have fun. The FZ1 kicks ass on the track.

Back