Traded in my Gen II, and got SCREWED.

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW, they all seemed genuinely shocked and said they were under the assumption that a brand new bike purchased from Yamaha at auction would if had full warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like a possible moral of the story is never assume a new bike purchased from a dealer is really a completely new bike. Now I know to ask if the bike was purchased at auction compared to if it was shipped direct from Yamaha.

Sorry you had to go through all that J

Indeed glad it worked out as if nothing happened, I hope though you did not lose any $ in the process, other than travel time and frustrational moments!

Full reversal like it never happened so far.

Mechanics are looking at R1 and my FZ1 is loaded in my truck already

4ybuduqu.jpg

Not sure why they want me to wait to inspect R1, but I'm not too worried

WOW Just what we needed to hear. This could have gotten real nasty but it sounds like the dealer did the right thing.

Might be a good day to buy a lottery ticket. :flash:

From what they were saying they are sending the bike back to Yamaha, or hoping to.

They said I was lucky as my fz1 was heading to one of their Canadian locations later this week!

Besides missing a day of work and fuel(damn diesel) I am out cleanly

Think I added it up to $400 lost in wages and fuel, not too bad

Good for you in taking immediate action. I think the dealer knew and got caught red handed but that doesn't matter unless they try to clean it up and sell it.

Thanks for sharing your story, as it happened. With all of the facts presented here, I am not surprised at the outcome. I am glad it worked out for you! --MW

Good stuff, looks like the dealer wasn't too dodgy after all.
Rack that one up to experience and move on.
There are plenty of nice R1's out there just waiting for you.
Good luck with your next purchase.

Sent from my Nexus 5

ok, back at work, decided to come in and finish the day off.

Anyways, it went really smoothly. I just went in and saw the saleslady I dealt with, and she was shocked to see me. I said we need to talk about that R1, its pretty messed up. I told her that it had a crack in the frame, fairing supports smashed and some other marks, plus it was an auction bike and Yamaha says they only do a mechanical warranty on auction bikes. I showed her all my pics on the iPad and she literally :jaw drop:

We also showed to the mechanic and he said he didn't know. She said they all were under the impression that bikes bought at auction from Yamaha brand new still had the full warranty, and bought the bike under the belief it was brand new no damage.

She called the owner and told her, and after speaking with the owner I was told my options were:

1. Full refund. I get my FZ1 back and deposit I paid, plus reversal charge on my Yamaha card.
2. I can look over the demo model and if interested we can work out a good deal. The demo had a small dent in tank,possibly from jean rivet, with the paint chipped and some deep scuffs on tail probably from a boot. Plus 1450 miles so I said no, lets just reverse it all. Even if they gave me the demo for $1000 less, I wouldn't have been happy and I have no idea how it was broken in so I didn't trust it.

The mechanic and parts guys helped me unload the R1 and load up my FZ1, and I thanked them. Went back in, got my title to FZ1, a check for my deposit, another apology, and left.

As I stated earlier, sucks to be out the $400, but it could have been WAY worse

Somebody up the line may have swapped out the frame and reassembled the bike or another party could have slapped body work on a bike that was mishandled somewhere.

The fraudulent party wherever they are located along the line is assuming that eventually Yamaha will get the bill.

You got lucky you didn't get killed and I can't imagine nobody test drove that bike at the dealer before they put it up for sale.

I bought my FZ1 in MN and had it shipped to FL for $600. Took about a month, but I saved ($7100 delivered) and it arrived in flawless condition. Still has that new bike smell.

$400 is cheap from getting out from under this nightmare, consider it a big victory. Perhaps the owners are just inexperienced and naïve, why would they think a bike bought at auction (at a price obviously below what Yamaha would sell it to them for if it were new and in the crate) would be covered by the factory warranty? As I read the OP's last note above it sounds like this was bought at auction directly from Yamaha so it must have been damaged when it was in Yamaha's custody. Very odd that Yamaha didn't disclose the damage to the people bidding on it, but that is typical with auctions. It's always 'buyers beware' and they have to do their due diligence. It doesn't pass the funny smell test and as a dealer I would have been worried about it's history and how it came to auction. And wouldn't the paperwork from Yamaha to dealer state that it was not covered by factory warranty? Very odd. In any event $400 is not chump change but considering the alternative I'd be damn happy.

I wonder how all that damage occurred on a bike that never rolled on the street. Hard to see a tipover doing that damage. Damaging a frame at it's weld point is not commonly seen on brand new bike. I wonder if a forklift didn't do the damage during shipment and Yamaha just put it to auction to clear it through the system. But a repaired frame would seem to be a huge potential liability for Yamaha and I'm surprised they would go down this road.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back