Transmission

BroHay

Stihl Loves Trees
Ok, so I pulled in this evening as I always do and was backing the bike in to park it in the garage. I noticed something that I had experienced and looking for some input.....

I had turned off the bike and was still in gear (2nd I think) and had the clutch lever depressed to disengage the tranny so I could go backwards. While going backwards, I felt something in the transmission when I first started to move the bike. Forwards/Backwards, it did it either way. I adjusted the tension on the clutch to see if that would help, it didn't appear to. The feeling was a slight thud that could be felt in either direction.

Maybe I'm just being overly concerned, but no changes in the bikes performance have been felt. I've pretty much babied it since I've owned it. (I've just recently started to try some roll-on wheelies in first, but no slippin' the clutch).

Guess I'm just looking for some advice to better educate myself on what might be happening.

Thanks,
BroHay

That's a tough one to diagnose without actually experiencing it. Does it feel like a point of slack in the gears, or maybe a broken tooth. If it doesn't seem to be a problem while driving it I wouldn't worry too much. Next time you are actually riding, pay special attention to the driveline and any jerks or appearant skips in power transmission.

sounds to me like the "clunk" is in the chain... either a tight link, a link in a bind... or something like that...

another possibility would be the front sprocket... it's been possible for the front sprocket to work itself loose.... in some cases to fall off... so... always a good thing to check.

Chain has less than 2k on it and I've kept it within the specified 40-50mm for chain slack.

As for takeoffs from a line, I'm feeling no difference than the past. Smooth.

I'll take a look this weekend on the at the front sprocket (and it'll be interesting to see what I find for it was the dealer that installed the new chain/sprockets and they had just hired the kid). Don't think I'll find anything but who knows??

Replaced the brake/clutch with Pazzos. Replaced the front pads with Brembo sintered street pads. I'll check that avenue and see if I find anything.

.....but it sure felt like it was coming from the tranny....more @ 11.

Adam

Back