Tyres

Hi,

New to this forum, but have had my 2008 FZ1 for 7 months now, and apart from the shocking turbulence, love it.

I commute about 200 miles per week on A roads, and the rear tyre is up for renewal.

Currently running BT021R on the back (BT023 on the front) and not overly impressed with wear and performance.

Anyone else feel the same about this tyre, and if so what did you move too?

The front still has plenty of miles on it, and money is an issue (unsurprisingly)

Thanks

I'm currently running 023's and are super happy with them. If your doing that much commuting, I'd opt for the 023 for the rear. It has a harder center on it and should give you good wear.

Yep, it will match up with your front and you'll still have nice grip on the sidewalls. Not sure about overseas, but here on the East Coast, you can get a set of Bridgestones for just over $200 dollars. It's probably one of the best deals available out there. My buddy just picked up a set of 016's for $220.00 dollars. He's not worried about longevity so it's a great deal for him.

I got bt23s on the front and back. I ride 100mi a day commute plus a little ripping on the weekend. Most of my miles are on highway and straighter roads. any tires I have had on my last 2 bikes have become flat on the back. It can't be helped. I have gotten better over the years and my chicken strips are only about 1" yet all the straight line driving ruins the rear.
Overall I am happy with the bt23s. Pretty good grip on turns and holds up well for grinding out some miles. next time I tire up I will get the same. Plus they are not that expensive. BTW I have a stock 2007 FZ1

Good intel vandal, thanks.

The roads that I use are a bit more twisty, but the main wear like yours will be in the centre.

They are on order now so hopefully fitted by the weekend

I have ordered 023s. Hopefully get the rear fitted this afternoon.

I'm really surprised how fast the rear (021) has deteriorated in the last week or so.

I'm really surprised how fast the rear (021) has deteriorated in the last week or so.

021 are out of production as ~3 years ago and the wear is not linear anyway, some tires get accelerated wear with age while others get so hard they never wear out .. no grip either

the 023 is a good tire, you'll get more than 12k km out of the rear but the last 2-3k will start to slip even with moderate throttle , I changed them around 10k I like a slide here and there but

Lil late now but changed my Battleaxe for Michelin Road Pilot 3's and i'm made up with them, so much so I bought a set for my girlfriends CB1000R. Not expensive either. Double compound, great wear on the central section. I'm a bit od a fair weather rider but they got great reviews for handling in the wet if you're commuting all the time.

"are out of production as ~3 years ago " Interestingly, the bike came with a new 021 fitted in Feb, someone had some old stock I guess.

Currently have a 190/50, but someone has suggested 190/55 is a better tyre. If someone could definitely state that the 55 is better than I could delay it for a day or so and fit them instead.

Currently have a 190/50, but someone has suggested 190/55 is a better tyre. If someone could definitely state that the 55 is better than I could delay it for a day or so and fit them instead.

it's "better" for twisties nothing to worry about for commuting and touring.

If you want the latest ST tire tech get T30 which replaces bt023's, don't think you will find such a good price though

The bulk of my riding is the commute, followed by general use and lastly weekend blasts. And as I don't have many issues on winding roads, then that is not a huge concern

Well had the 023 fitted yesterday and have done about 60 miles on it so far, and.................it feels likes different bike.

Either the last rear was badly fitted or front and rear didn't match, it feels better than the day I bought it, smoother, more planted.

I'm glad the 023's are working out. Take it easy for the first few hundred miles, of course. The stock Brigestone tires are crap.

I always wonder about impressions of new tires because you've ridden on worn out tires for some time and then change to fully new tires. The new ones should feel way better. I'd guess if the new tires don't feel great, they are not a good tire.

Well had the 023 fitted yesterday and have done about 60 miles on it so far, and.................it feels likes different bike.

Either the last rear was badly fitted or front and rear didn't match, it feels better than the day I bought it, smoother, more planted.

glad you like them :)

don't try S20 or other sport tires, you can't go back to ST after that :)

200 miles on them now and she rolls and corners much better, really pleased.

I did wonder if it was just a perception thing after riding on slowly degrading tyres, but no, she handles a lot better now.

So a big thanks for the advice

Hi,

New to this forum, but have had my 2008 FZ1 for 7 months now, and apart from the shocking turbulence, love it.

I commute about 200 miles per week on A roads, and the rear tyre is up for renewal.

Currently running BT021R on the back (BT023 on the front) and not overly impressed with wear and performance.

Anyone else feel the same about this tyre, and if so what did you move too?

The front still has plenty of miles on it, and money is an issue (unsurprisingly)

Thanks

I fitted the new BT-T30 both front and rear. Highly rated, very happy.

Back