Uneven Front Disc Wear

luddy

I have an 09 FZ1N with only 7500km on it, however I have noticed the right hand side front disc is wearing unevenly, in that the centre contact area of the disc has the original hone marks and there is just a 1cm wide band on the inner and outer of the disc where the pad is contacting. Interestingly, the wear is the same on both the inside and outside of the disc. I have never seen a disc wear like this. The left hand disc is wearing normally. I haven't had the caliper off to inspect the pads yet, but I'm assuming it is either a pad issue or perhaps a caliper bleeding issue? The bike stops fine.

Is this common on the FZ1's or any thoughts on how to rectify.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6483753/FZ1N-uneven-wear-RHS-FR-Dis.jpg

FZ1N-uneven-wear-RHS-FR-Dis.jpg

Last edited:
No brake squeal, shudder etc braking action feels normal. Plenty of meat on the pads still from looking externally.The rotor doesn't look to be warped and strange to have the same uneven wear on both sides of the disc. I just read elsewhere about cleaning the rotor bobbins to ensure the disc is floating freely on the hub. I will give this a go and also pull the caliper off and check the pads and clean the pistons and check their movement. I guess it could be a poorly bled caliper??

Uncommon, and I'd be checking the pad wear. Do they squeal when you apply the brake?

Last edited:
A poorly bled caliper should have a spongy lever feel. Even in the one is bled correctly since they are fed off the same master cylinder.
There is most likely a pad or rotor issue there.

Solved

I've solved this issue. I removed the caliper and pads were glazed/grooved. I simply gave them a hone on some flat concrete in a figure of 8 pattern until they had a flat uniform surface, put back on an and did some heavy front brake stopping and disc now shows normal wear pattern. Unsure what would've cause them to glaze up in the first place as it must've come like that from the factory to have the original hone marks visible on the disc. Thanks all for your input.

Back