Uneven Tirewear, Suspension?

My first thought was that he was in europe and the roads were crowned , causing the opposite wear you'd see in the US. However, in san fran, there's no excuse unless he's just making a lot of right turns on red to avoid the one way streets.

I think a frame misalignment is more likely, either through damage or just bad manufacture as suggested above.

Thanks for all the input. I ride 50% Highway commuting here in the SF Bay Area but the other 50% is fun riding twisties and longer touring. I never had this on any previous bike (ok that was back in Germany) so I think it is not the riding style.

I will look out for a shop to measure the frame but that may take some time. The suspension shop I was at was one specialized for racing and they carefully checked everything maybe they can measure the frame.

I will keep you posted about the results.

Thanks for all the input. I ride 50% Highway commuting here in the SF Bay Area but the other 50% is fun riding twisties and longer touring. I never had this on any previous bike (ok that was back in Germany) so I think it is not the riding style.

I will look out for a shop to measure the frame but that may take some time. The suspension shop I was at was one specialized for racing and they carefully checked everything maybe they can measure the frame.

I will keep you posted about the results.

Please do. I'm quite curious now- it's such a weird mystery.:popcorn:

Is it possible you just trail brake alot more going into right hand turns than left? The added load of trailing the front brakes into only right hand corners would significantly increase the wear rate on that side.

Ok guys, that took a bit longer but finally I got the frame and complete alignment measured. The shop does a lot of race bikes and it was a very good experience. Well, the frame is straight as well as the swingarm and the steeringhead. There is a slight tweak in the front fork but it is very small and should not cause the pull to the left or the uneven tire wear.
Now I am really puzzled what it can be???:dontknow:

The same for all the experts. I mean if it is not an alignment issue why the heck is it happening? I had several bike in Germany one a Fz6 and never ever had I uneven tire wear or a bike pulling to one side.

Well I guess I :surrender: and just replace the front tire more often, I anyway have adapted my riding and now ride much smoother in spirited left corners without noticing the faster turn in much.

I would suggest that you may have a bad tire.

I have no experience with the PP front or the PR3 rear. I am however on my 2nd set of PR2's. The 1st set I actually ran the PR3 front with a PR2 rear. I was running the same roads as you probably. I was commuting from the east bay into Alameda. Then into SF for the Doyle Dr Knockdown project this past spring / summer. 80 miles per day. I got 17k out of that set.

Id suggest that with a stickier front you may be cornering harder.

It`s common for one side of a front tyre to wear quite a bit more than the other, most will to some extent,due to riding style, [too low] a tyre pressure,soft tyres, etc,saying that your`s does seem a bit extreme

How much does road camber affect the wear on the tire?

Where I live there is a pretty good grade toward the gutters. In AZ we actually have to worry about flash floods and it seems when they make the roads they set it up so the right lane can become a river and the 2 other lanes and suicide line are a lot more level.

Back