Unfriendly Harley Riders

CGFZ1

You know, I consider all motorcyclists to be basically an almost family like group of people who should look out for each other and be decent to each other out on the road.

Today I ran into the direct opposite in SE Wisconsin. I was out on a ride and had a guy on a Harley read me the riot act because I would not get out of his way?

Now you have to understand the situation, I was traveling in a residential area with a speed limit of 25 to 35 miles an hour depending on where I was in the area. This lovely individual (bless his heart) pulled up along side of me and commenced to let me have it for not getting out of his way while traveling down this particular stretch of road. I asked him what his general problem was and why he didn't pass me? He said I should have just pulled over and let him by. I laughed and told him he needed to go have a beverage and consider his issues, (not exactly how I said it, might have been a bit more strongly worded).

He then said he wanted to see how quick the rice grinder I was driving really was. I told him to meet me at the local drag track next weekend and he could find out for himself.

I finally was able to get away from him but was thrilled with meeting him as you can probably tell. Are all Harley riders like this or am I just lucky. This is the second harley rider I have had a run in with. I must have a target on my back that says this guy likes it when you harass him?

Now I am sure not all harley people are like this but I am baffled by their superiority complexes. Just needed to vent a little. Thanks everyone :)

Naw , , , most are really very nice. I know several Harley riders and they are great people. You just must know to 'pick'em' ! heh,heh, :shaking head:

I live for moments like those, I especially like reminding them how I can out run them and never use the top 3 gears. I rode a couple hundred miles yesterday and probably passed 60-70 Hardleys, I bet only 5-6 of them waived. Well not really waive but the Harley "2 finger low drag".

Last edited:
I have friends and relation who own Harleys and are all great people. I just must have been lucky enough to run into the exception. I have found though since moving to SE Wisconsin that about 3 out of 10 Harley riders wave. Not sure if it is because it's the home of Harley Davidson or ? I chalk it up to if they take their hands off the handlebars they'll fall off their bikes:rofl:

I will continue to wave and be cordial to all riders (I even wave to scooter riders) this is how I've always been and will always be. I hope I get a chance to ride with some of my fellow FZ1 forum brothers and sisters this year. Take care everyone!

Last edited:
I've met a few unfriendly Harley riders. One flipped me off when I waved him. And many of them seldom wave back. Also, one day me and my buddies stopped because he hit the end of the paved road. A guy comes by in a car and says "if you had a Harley, you wouldn't have to worry about it breaking down."

Are Harley's more reliable than our jap bikes? Because I certainly never had any issues with my fz1 or an sv650.

Anyways, I am not saying all Harley riders are like that, just some.

I ride a Harley and have friends at work that drive together on them. I think you met someone that would be like that if they were on a moped. I love 2 wheels whether it be dirt bike, street bike, crotch rocket, cruiser or even bicycle. I do think there are those who are elitist in there way of thinking, BMW, Ducati or Harley. Same thing with snowmobiler's Arctic cat, Polaris or Yamaha. Human nature I suppose. Too bad... Kinda hard to enjoy the ride with chip on your shoulder.

I ride a Harley and have friends at work that drive together on them. I think you met someone that would be like that if they were on a moped. I love 2 wheels whether it be dirt bike, street bike, crotch rocket, cruiser or even bicycle. I do think there are those who are elitist in there way of thinking, BMW, Ducati or Harley. Same thing with snowmobiler's Arctic cat, Polaris or Yamaha. Human nature I suppose. Too bad... Kinda hard to enjoy the ride with chip on your shoulder.

Couldn't have put it better. A bike is a bike

I wave to everyone................but I'm now in the habit of waiting for the Harley rider to wave first...........and the BMW guys......what's with them ??
I seem to get the cold shoulder from a few BMW riders too.

Amazing how many nut jobs you run across in life :) I've had a handful of unpleasant interactions with Harley guys over the years.

One of my first I was 19 on my new Hawk GT....( loved that bike ) and chatting with an old school hippie on a 60's Triumph chopper. His Harley buddies show up and it starts....Rice this and rice that. They were trying to intimidate the kid on the rice burner. Everything from wise cracks to standing way to close trying to invade my personal space and scare me .
One guy in particular was a real loud mouth.

Threw my helmet on and as I started to pull off I hear " I'LL GRIND THAT THING UP AND USE IT FOR PARTS " from the most obnoxious guy in the bunch.
I forced out the loudest most obnoxious laugh I could muster and said ..
" I SEE WHY YOUR FRIENDS HAVE DRAG PIPES.......THEY'RE TIRED OF LISTENING TO YOU !!! "
I had all his friends laughing hysterically at this point and I think even he cracked a smile. I slowly pulled away and finished off with " IF YOU CAN CATCH IT YOU CAN HAVE IT !
I've never seen grown men laugh so hard in my life !!!!

Just for the record I has a good 30 feet away in gear and ready to escape
I'm not that brave :)

I have a friend that rides a Hardly motorcycle. He's a great guy but I've given up waving to anybody on a a Hardly. Most just seem to work too hard on looking mean.

I have a few mates with Mobile Chicanes & although they are happy to tag along for a ride they openly state they will not acknowledge anyone on any bike other than a Harley.
Alot of blokes riding brand new sports bikes in matching leathers dont wave either, wont even nod at traffic lights when stopped beside you.Makes it more enjoyable when you blow em off in the twisties!

It depends alot on where you are, I wave at everyone, but have learned when it comes to Harley's I let them wave first. Most are nice folks, but there are a whole lot with elitist attitudes. Which kills me because everyone and their brother has or has had a Harley. I love bikes, but I wouldn't buy another one. My liter bikes run better, faster, longer, then any Harley. Any day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a friend that rides a Hardly motorcycle. He's a great guy but I've given up waving to anybody on a a Hardly. Most just seem to work too hard on looking mean.

If you rode one of those, you'd try to look mean too because you know you could never get away. Or maybe they are just pissed at how much they payed for all the required (usually non-protective) clothes, doo-rags, belt-buckles, t-shirts, jackets, boots, chaps, fingerless gloves, underoos, tampons (for oil leaks) and other various, required H-D labeled items.

Back to the original post... Around here, I wave at all motorcycles, about half the HD guys respond, and occasionally a sport rider won't (what few there are). Most of the HD guys I know are good enough guys. Some will comment about rice, etc, but most are decent people. I've never had a douchebag chew me out. I guess your lucky to live next to the vinegar and water plant. I hope you can make it a while without another experience like that. Print some of these and hand them out...

douchebag.gif

Last edited:
Unfortnately God made some real Jackasses as well as the good people. Some, who ride motorcycles, ride Harleys and some ride Sport bikes etc. etc. I try to ignore everyone who can't tollerate people who are different than they are.

You know, I consider all motorcyclists to be basically an almost family like group of people who should look out for each other and be decent to each other out on the road.

Today I ran into the direct opposite in SE Wisconsin. I was out on a ride and had a guy on a Harley read me the riot act because I would not get out of his way?

Now you have to understand the situation, I was traveling in a residential area with a speed limit of 25 to 35 miles an hour depending on where I was in the area. This lovely individual (bless his heart) pulled up along side of me and commenced to let me have it for not getting out of his way while traveling down this particular stretch of road. I asked him what his general problem was and why he didn't pass me? He said I should have just pulled over and let him by. I laughed and told him he needed to go have a beverage and consider his issues, (not exactly how I said it, might have been a bit more strongly worded).

He then said he wanted to see how quick the rice grinder I was driving really was. I told him to meet me at the local drag track next weekend and he could find out for himself.

I finally was able to get away from him but was thrilled with meeting him as you can probably tell. Are all Harley riders like this or am I just lucky. This is the second harley rider I have had a run in with. I must have a target on my back that says this guy likes it when you harass him?

Now I am sure not all harley people are like this but I am baffled by their superiority complexes. Just needed to vent a little. Thanks everyone :)

Similar thing happened to me on Sunday - check my post G'day from Melbourne. Many bikes out for a Sunday ride and most wave. I do and 90% wave back. Harleys?? Very few. At the lights....forget it. I am talking about the bad biker psuedo would be Hells Angel type. I've noticed another breed of Harley rider with full face helmet and sport riding gear. Usually older and often with a much younger chick on the back. These guys wave so it's not all Harley riders and they'll talk to you at a coffee stop. As for the one I describe in my post, I should have ( after I had my coffee ) followed him and his mate up into the twisty's and had some fun with them!!! Next time. Cheers.

Ditto. That's certainly not the norm. I would have told him..."oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know those bikes could go over "harmful30mph". Hahahaha!!!!:rofl:

Harley Davidson - the worlds most efficient way of turning raw gasoline into noise without the "harmful side effect" of horsepower!

Back