Universal rider sign language

IBcivic

I did do a search in case someone had previously posted this..:nerd:

Motorcycle Hand Signals

When riding with a group communications between riders can be difficult. The following is a list of hand signals for communicating between motorcyclists. Use them as you see fit. Note that they all require that you take a hand of foot off of the controls and this may not always be a good idea, so only do so when it is safe. All hand signals use the left hand. Remeber that not all motorcycle riders know all of these motorcycle hand signals, so many may not heed the warning or information you are attempting to pass along. If you are riding with a group of motorcyclists it is a good idea to go through these hand signals so everyone in your riding group gets the message.

Right Turn - Left arm out and turned up 90° at elbow
Left Turn - Left arm straight out to left
Stop - Left arm straight at a 45° angle with palm of hand facing backwards

Slow Down - Waving arm in quick downward motion, with palm down and parallel to ground - Often used to warn riders in the opposite direction to slow down
Speed Up - Waving arm in quick upward motion, with palm up and parallel to ground
Hazard in Road (left side) - Point toward the ground with left hand
Harzard in Road (right side) - Point toward ground with right foot

Pedestrians on Road - With arm curved point over your head toward the right side of road
Police Ahead or Nearby - Tap top of helmet with your left palm 2-3 times:D
Need Gas - Point toward gas tank
Need Restroom Break - Point toward hip or groin
Need Food Break - Pat stomach
Pull Over Now - Point at other rider and then point to the side of the road
Your Turn Signal is On - Arm out, open and close hand in a "flashing" motion
Single File - Arm and index finger extended straight up
Double File - Arm with index and pinky finger extended straight up
Go Past Me - Arm out, forward waving
Come Along Side Me - Arm back, pointing rear - sweep arm forward till pointing to your left then point down
Stay Behind Me - Arm out, palm back
Your Too Close - Arm out, fingers down, palm back with a fore and aft motion

What about the wave passing another motorcyclist traveling in the opposite direction? I still remember being giddy about that when I started riding!

Doughnut disposal, porker, rozzer, cop, bacon, mobile tax collector...all synonyms fthat can potentially spoil a ride

Last edited:
Back