UPDATE: Chinese Yamaha Keys

UPDATE: EBAY (Chinese) Yamaha Keys

Well I am the world's worst at losing my keys so at 40 yrs old - I have decided to just hedge my bets and buy numerous keys :D
I came across these cheap Chinese (or Japanese or whatever) keys on Ebay and they seemed like a good deal. Not to mention that I really hate the look of my 2004 FZ1 Key.

Well I saw these keys on Ebay and they were really cheap. Plus IMHO I thought they were pretty good looking. As stated, I am ALWAYS lsing my keys so I decided to grab a few of these since the price was right.
I also added a key cover to deal with the stock ugliness ;) LOL I like the Tiki so I just shoved this cover over the original key for some variety :D

fz1keyupgrade1.jpg

I have been using this key every day for about a year and something happened that I felt I should tell everyone about since I have told people that these work well.
Yesterday I turned the key in the ignition and ..............

20120425_222847.jpg

20120425_222926.jpg

Well it did not actually "break" as much as it "disassembled" if that makes sense.
The fat, round plastic portion of the key cover is made up of two parts. You stick the key into the top and a 2nd smaller piece holds the key in place. It worked fine until yesterday and then it just kind of fell apart.
I have bought about 10 of these (including keys for all my bikes) and this is the only one that has done this. IF YOU CATCH the small "locking piece" when it breaks - it should be easy to glue it back together.....However, I was not that lucky. I thought about chucking the whole thing and just having a skinny key but I went into Redneck Engineering Mode :nerd: and shoved a piece of paper inside the key "handle". I just shoved enough paper into the hole to put enough pressure on the key and lock it in place. I have used it several times and it works fine....although it's kind of rigged right now. Again - If I would have caught the piece that locks the key inside this handle - it would have been simple to glue it back together.

20120428_225641.jpg

So after all that rambling, I do not regret my decision at all. Even with the the key coming apart I would buy these keys again and probably will buy more in the future. I like the way they look and I think that if they come apart, it's an easy fix. I think these are good duplicate keys - I think it was a good bargain and they are completely functional even when the handle is broken.
Just wanted you guys an update. Posting on both forums because some people only stay on one FZ1 Forum.

Last edited:
The liquid weld is a good idea but this was just a quick fix.
I really wanted to give everyone an update on these keys because they were the topic of several threads a few months back.

Last edited:
Back