valve clearance

Hi everyone i could do with some help, i have a fz1 on a 07 plate with 16000 miles on it has a beowouf can,power commander III usb with a map from dyno site,a k&n,But i seam to have prob starting in the morning when cold it will turn over 8 times before it starts but when warmed up starts first time,dose anyone think it will be valve clearance. I have checked battery and it is on full power. Help me:shaking head::shaking head:

Im kinda wondering if the map you have on there might have lean on start up. On a hot day the air wouldn't be as dense so your air fuel ratio would be right, but when it gets cold air gets more dense and causes the air in the air fuel ratio to be higher then it should be. The computer normally adjusts for it but if fuel was really lean to begin with it just can't adjust enough.

You would have to be way out of adjustment with hydraulic followers (which you don't have) for valve adjustment to cause hard starting only when cold. I would be leaning towards low battery amperage. If you have never changed your battery it is probably getting to be time. Go to a service center and have your battery load tested. I'd bet it will load test weak.

Some one with a little more programing exprience should chime in but I would still see how warm it was in the shop when the dyno was done. Otherwise load test battery

I tested battery with volt meater and it showed 12.79 when warm and 12.49amps when cold because i have an alarm on but i had it on trickle charge for a hole 24hrs and i still had a problem.

You should check it while cranking the bike over,it shouldn't drop too much in voltage. If its below like 10.5 or so I'd say change it.

Take it to someone who has an adjustable load tester that can be set by CCA (cold cranking amps) and have it checked it is the only reliable way to check the integrity of a battery.

Hi everyone i could do with some help, i have a fz1 on a 07 plate with 16000 miles on it has a beowouf can,power commander III usb with a map from dyno site,a k&n,But i seam to have prob starting in the morning when cold it will turn over 8 times before it starts but when warmed up starts first time,dose anyone think it will be valve clearance. I have checked battery and it is on full power. Help me:shaking head::shaking head:

It's not your valve clearance; although I did mine at 6000 and most were off. Do the easy stuff first, like spark plugs.

When cold starting and turning over 8 times, it is a very FAST turning over and seems like the engine just isn't catching? Or, is it a slow rolling turn over where the engine seems like it is holding back? If it is a fast cranking 8 times, I'm guessing the load on the battery isn't the problem. If this is the case, it is time to pull the plugs and inspect/replace them. Were the plugs replaced at the recommended 12k miles? Are they still the stock plugs?

When was the last oil and filter change? What weight oil was put in? Dyno or synthetic? What is the average temperature outside when the bike is being starting daily? Cold temps and oil that is too heavy for the bike will slow the starting process some too.

These are all the first thoughts that come to mind. :D

From day 1 my FZ has sounded like it turns over quite a bit before it hits, but that's just the nature of the beast. My Triumph always sounded like it hit the first time a piston hit TDC and started a fast idle. I think the FZ1 might take a second or two before the intake gets primed from the injectors (if it's an injected bike). I don't have any problem actually getting it started though and that's down to about 25 degrees F. My battery is three years old. Your valves should be fine at 16,000 unless you've been flogging the daylights out of it and running into the limiter all the time.

Back