Video: Left Fairing Mount for Contour Roam Camera

I recently posted about adding a few mounting points for my Contour Roam camera. I ran a test today with the one on the side of the fairing and I like how it turned out. The mounts were super-easy to make out of some acrylic discs that I plasti-welded together and drilled, then just bought a longer fairing bolt to attach it to the bike.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUtYEQZJzng]FZ1 Left Side Fairing Camera Mount Test (Contour Roam) - YouTube[/ame]

Here's the pic of the mount that I posted to the other thread. This one is on the right, but I moved it to the left so I could see more of the road.

The camera came with the "watersports" kit which includes a clamp-style mounting unit. I have a few of these mount points on my bike, so I just have to pop the clamp loose and move it to a new location.

I'm also attaching a couple of images of what it looks like mounted to the bike.

14868d1369614334-what-did-you-do-your-fz-today-20130526_194638.jpg

Wow, nice! I will say that the Contour Mounts look a lot nicer than the GoPro ones for sure, although they now have the "Ball" type mounts which look much more versatile. Thanks for posting the pics so quickly!

One of the best things about the Contour camera is that it has a rotatable lens, which give a little more flexibility in mounting locations. The price ($100) wasn't bad either!

The camera has quarter-inch "standard" camera mounting threads, so you can use a RAM mount or something similar if you get the 1" ball to 1/4" adapter.

Next project is to use the 3D printer to make a helmet mount. I have a template, but can't get the time on the 3D printer at TechShop!

Are you scared at all about the camera falling off though? I always get afraid because I'm not sure if it's still attached... My buddies have lost go pros while snowboarding so thats probably why.. lol

Are you scared at all about the camera falling off though?

Well, I wasn't until you said something!:tdown: Way to go buzz-killer.

Seriously, though, the clamp is made for surfing and I feel pretty confident in its abilities to hang on. When I had the camera on the front (where the block-off plates are located), I had it tied with some string as a back-up, but never had a problem, even on some fairly rough (for a street bike) terrain. I live in Michigan, and the roads in the metro-Detroit area sort of like driving on the moon, but with 6x the gravity. The side-mount is secured to the bike using one of the fairing mount points, and it's bolted down. That's definitely not a point of failure.

Overall, I think that the mounts I made could be improved a bit if I could use a lathe, but I don't have access to one, so I made due. I'll improve it with some time (probably over the Winter). In the interim, I'll take the risk with a $100 camera.

Back