What a worn sprocket and chain look like

Broke_Dirty_FZ1

I have seen a few questions about noise coming from the front sprocket area and decided to show what was causing mine.

I have actually had a few bikes and have never heard one make the grumbling, clicking noise that this bike was making when I bought it. I figured it was the chain/sprocket so I used that to get the price down on the bike a little more. From the looks of it, Yamaha designed that rubber like piece into the front sprockets of these bikes. Probably as some kind of vibration damping measure. Because of it, as the sprocket and chain wears down, the outer links of the chain start digging into the rubber pieces and that is what makes that horrible noise. Since I have never seen those rubber pieces before, I imagine you don't normally detect this kind of wear unless you actually take your sprocket cover off and look for it.

As you can see from the pics, the front sprocket was quite hooked and I will also be posting pictures of the chain when I can get a better camera. I would like to show the side to side play the rollers had, and if I can capture it with the camera, I would also like to show how much axial play the rollers had on the pins themselves. Let me just say, that in 11 years of riding and working on my own bikes, I have never seen a chain worn this bad.

Basically, this chain must have been seriously neglected as the bike only has about 16,000 miles on it. In relation to the chain and front sprocket, the rear sprocket actually looks to be in perfect shape. So I think the PO tried masking the problem, or taking the cheap route by only replacing the rear sprocket at some point in time. But then again, a couple of the nuts did require some fairly serious heat to get them off, so maybe it is the original.

I will try to take better pictures with another camera, but these will have to do for now. Plus, I won't be able to get a side by side as the new parts are installed already.

I'd say that your front was at the end of it's useful life but I've seen some sprockets far worse. Some have been so hooked that you'd wonder how a chain could possibly go around it and if the rear was far better than the front it must have been changed some time because it's very rare that both sprockets and chain don't wear in unison. By the way, what did you replace the old units with (brand)?

I agree that that chain must've been neglected because a modern chain will last longer than 16k miles with proper maintenance.

I would suggest you rivet the new master link when you install the new chain (unless you went with an OEM one). You don't want that master link coming off (while rare it does happen) because the consequences can sometimes be devastating to both rider and bike. Why take a chance...

I agree that that chain must've been neglected because a modern chain will last longer than 16k miles with proper maintenance.

I would suggest you rivet the new master link when you install the new chain (unless you went with an OEM one). You don't want that master link coming off (while rare it does happen) because the consequences can sometimes be devastating to both rider and bike. Why take a chance...

Yeah, just ask CanonFuji! His chain came off Thursday while traveling probably 40mph. He was fortunate that it just ran straight to the ground and away from the bike. It could have been much worse. He had gone with a chain with a master link and not a rivet. I'll remember that when it comes time to change my chain. I'll be going with one without a master link. Needless to say he won't be going with us on Sunday. He's grounded until further notice.

That's a pretty normal wear for 16000 miles. And the front wears faster than the rear sprocket. Of course it does, it turns about 3 times for every turn of the rear. Consider changing the front sprocket about half time through the lifespan of the chain. When worn like that it causes vibration.

I'd say that your front was at the end of it's useful life but I've seen some sprockets far worse. Some have been so hooked that you'd wonder how a chain could possibly go around it and if the rear was far better than the front it must have been changed some time because it's very rare that both sprockets and chain don't wear in unison. By the way, what did you replace the old units with (brand)?

That was kind of my point. I have seen some far worse and you never really know because they don't have those rubber pieces on the sides. Like I said, I've never seen any front sprockets like that before(with the rubber pieces). This bike is the first. I am wondering if Yamaha designed them that way for another reason, or if they did it as a warning feature. As far as wearing pretty much together, I have never seen that either. I have always found myself changing chains or sprockets because one was shot. As a matter of fact, this is the first time I have changed a set because two of the three were shot.

I wound up going with OEM, and it wasn't cheap either. In my haste to get the bike on the road, I ordered OEM from the cheapest on-line place without really paying attention. Then I found a post showing which DID complete set I could have bought for the same price I paid for just the OEM chain.

Last edited:
Yeah, just ask CanonFuji! His chain came off Thursday while traveling probably 40mph. He was fortunate that it just ran straight to the ground and away from the bike. It could have been much worse. He had gone with a chain with a master link and not a rivet. I'll remember that when it comes time to change my chain. I'll be going with one without a master link. Needless to say he won't be going with us on Sunday. He's grounded until further notice.

I have noticed this master link term being erronously used on this site to describe chains and I think you guys might be confusing people that don't know any better. If you are trying to shy people away from using a clip type chain, I would just call it a clip type as both clip type and rivet type chains have a master link. And actually, even an OEM endless chain is a master link type. It just isn't as obvious. But many times if you look at a new OEM bike, it will have a blue or white painted mark on one of the links. They mark them that way so you will know which link will be easiest to remove when it comes time to change the chain.

Think of it like this. All chains are master link chains and:
clip type master link are not recommended for this type bike
rivet type master link are good provided they are installed correctly
endless type are better because a machine was used for riveting following an established process(less chance of human error)

Back