What are the true Dyno results

I have been looking at the power outputs of the FZ1 and it seems to be varied. I also have read the lack in torque is noticeable in the reviews but some people say the torque is great... What way is it to you?

Thanks

Nate

It's a nice motor, linear and kicks on the top like most I4 engines. Torquey? No, no at all. Fun to ride? Hell yes. Will it smoke most V2's? Hell yes.

For rear wheel hp number? That all depends on the dyno type and the honesty and skill of the operator. Numbers are from 126 to 156. You tell me what is the "real" number. Honestly, who cares?

And, welcome. :)

The lack of torque below 7k rpm is noticeable when coming from a 2006 GSXR1000, like I did.
Throw on a full Yoshi system, Ivans ECU reflash, add a 16T front sprocket and it wakes up the midrange considerably.
However, if you are coming off a 600 then the extra torque of a stock FZ1 will be noticeable too.

Sent from my Nexus 5

My wife and I plan on test driving one this weekend if the weather permits itself here in Indiana... I was curious but the differing reviews from critics and couldn't find much from owners on the differing results from riding and the specs...

I think Pete's numbers are spot on. Anywhere from 125 to 150 depending on mods, etc. Also, each Dyno may give up different numbers. Regardless, the bike usually doesn't wake up until your over 7K on the tach.

I can't wait to pick mine up this Saturday coming!

Last edited:
I don't have any problem with lack of torque. I'll pass in 6th gear at 4k anytime, no downshift required. Of course, my other bike is an R6 with absolutely zero torque below 8k and not much until 10k.

One thing I have noticed in all magazines is that there is always bias from the reviewer. Be they a Honda fan or Yamaha fan, they may not intend to write a bias review, but they do, especially when company A puts so much more advertising $ into the mag than company B.

As for Dynos, not only will it depend on the Dyno, the operator, but also the day it was tuned. I've had my bike on the Dyno twice by a very experienced Dyno operator & tuner. The first time it went on it was low hundreds, by the time he was finished it was mid 140s on a cool day. The second time it went on with a few more mods it only went up 3 hp on the Dyno, but it was a stinking hot day. The tuner records all the atmospheric conditions of each run and was able to tell me that even though it was only 3hp more, the conditions had a 3% drop from the last time it was on the Dyno and that it was actually a 150+ hp bike now.

Take everything you read in a magazine with a bit of caution, and also look at which companies have more advertising in the mag.

the final number doesnt matter as much as the before and after and the air fuel ratio honestly. if you're air fuel ratio is proper and flat across around 13.2-13.7ish, it's as good as it's gonna get without modifying it. dyno numbers can be fudged with tires, oil, when its run etc so really, the final numbers are usually not so important.

the final number doesnt matter as much as the before and after and the air fuel ratio honestly. if you're air fuel ratio is proper and flat across around 13.2-13.7ish, it's as good as it's gonna get without modifying it. dyno numbers can be fudged with tires, oil, when its run etc so really, the final numbers are usually not so important.

Final numbers never seem to matter when they are not that high or don't meet expectations but seem to matter a lot when the numbers are very high. Weird how that works, isn't it?

I was aiming for (and got) a much smoother bike as the power curve was smoothed out a lot. It makes the bike a whole lot nicer to ride. I rarely have it up at 12krpm to get that 150+ hp anyway.

Depending on what you are used to will depend on how the torque feels. It doesn't have the low end pull like a zx 10.
However it's got plenty of grunt. I pass people in 6th gear all the time.
I spend way less time shifting than a lot of other bikes I ride with.
It doesn't hesitate to pull the front tire, especially if you don't lean forward when hammering the throttle.

Final numbers never seem to matter when they are not that high or don't meet expectations but seem to matter a lot when the numbers are very high. Weird how that works, isn't it?

ironic how that works aint it lol

a 190hp race bike on a dot is only a 185hp race bike with a fatty slick on it instead. usually as long as it's tuned properly, number doesn't matter as much. the power curves and air fuel ratio is usually a better indicator of whats up with bike

That is good to hear that it will pull in sixth gear... I don't want a bike I will have to constantly down shift... I am guessing with that it will do well with a passenger on the back?

I very very very rarely ever have to down shift even on my Gen1 to pass unless pass is under 60mph.
Ride one is all I can say, from 65 to 90mph more that acceptable for street riding. If you are coming from a HD or a Marauder you better duck tape your hands to the bars.

It's funny, this torque thing...

I have an 03 w/stage II jet kit, timing advance, holeshot slip-on. I was thinking it was plenty powerful and loved every minute I was riding it...

THEN

I rode my friends Fz09...

1st, it's fuel injected..but the TORQUE and how quickly it is available is simply intoxicating. It's not 'if' you wheelie, it's WHEN. At the simple flick of the wrist the front wheel goes airborne. It reminded me of a very powerful dirtbike.

I love my Fz1, but riding that Fz09 really made me see what a good torque curve can do for a bike.

I very very very rarely ever have to down shift even on my Gen1 to pass unless pass is under 60mph.
Ride one is all I can say, from 65 to 90mph more that acceptable for street riding. If you are coming from a HD or a Marauder you better duck tape your hands to the bars.

I'm new here and came from a V Star 1100, this thing feels like a rocket in all RPM except 2-4k to me. Heck, even that low it feels like it's got plenty of power to me.

I had my vstar jetted and running K&N POD filters so it had an extra 10-15HP and it still has nothing on the FZ1.

I never downshift to pass on the highway and cruising at 4-5k rpm I just twist the throttle and i'm passing with ease.

I think the whole torque thing is obviously very subjective depending on what the rider has ridden before. My brother has a fz-09 and I can tell that thing has more grunt in the lower rpm range, it's also geared lower and was built from the ground up to be a street fighter.

That is good to hear that it will pull in sixth gear... I don't want a bike I will have to constantly down shift... I am guessing with that it will do well with a passenger on the back?

i've got thousands of miles logged with a passenger on the back, switching to the r1 rear shock made it far more stable though and as far as powers concerned, it desperately needs a tune or flash, once that's done, it's tons of fun.

also to answer the original question, it does lack torque, those who say it is torquey, haven't ridden proper liter bikes. fz1's are down :edit for eurban: 10-20ft lbs tq from a real 1000. however, it still has :edit for eurban: 10-20 more than a 600, so, its way better than a 600's tq in comparison to that. these aren't amazing super sport bikes, fz's are bikes that are pretty good at a bit of everything but aren't great at a bit of everything if that makes sense. yeah, it can do everything, but meh, there's bikes better than it in every category. what it does do, is its a solid bike to do anything on thats comfy and isn't that boring to ride compared to a 600

Last edited:
i've got thousands of miles logged with a passenger on the back, switching to the r1 rear shock made it far more stable though and as far as powers concerned, it desperately needs a tune or flash, once that's done, it's tons of fun.

also to answer the original question, it does lack torque, those who say it is torquey, haven't ridden proper liter bikes. fz1's are down 20-30ft lbs tq from a real 1000. however, it still has 20-30 more than a 600, so, its way better than a 600's tq in comparison to that. these aren't amazing super sport bikes, fz's are bikes that are pretty good at a bit of everything but aren't great at a bit of everything if that makes sense. yeah, it can do everything, but meh, there's bikes better than it in every category. what it does do, is its a solid bike to do anything on thats comfy and isn't that boring to ride compared to a 600

Not sure where you get your "down 20/30ftlb" numbers. Don't have a figure for a stock FZ1 torque output, but a full package one makes a bit over 75ftlbs. Most liter supersports make about that but at a bit higher RPM. A tuned and piped S1000RR will make closer to 80ftlbs but again at a higher RPM. These supersports are lighter and obviously faster bikes but they are most certainly not up 20/30ftlbs of torque on a tuned GenII.

Its fun no matter what

This is my first running bike, so after two years of ownership, IT"S a blast. I am very conservative (rarely ever take my 08 above 6k), but when I have had too, it was A RUSH.

Back