What battery do you use and why?

What Battery Did You Choose and Why?

• Lead Acid Battery

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Gel Battery (Bikemaster TrueGel, other gel)

• Absorbed Glass Mat Battery

• Lithium Ion (Shorai LFX, Ballistic Evo2)

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Stock - I'm a wizard with the battery tender.

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Other, please post what you use and why

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How cold is cold?

I'm thinking about a Shorai for my 2007 but everybody says they don't take to the cold well. What's cold 50F or 20F? I'd like some more info on that part of it.

I'm thinking about a Shorai for my 2007 but everybody says they don't take to the cold well. What's cold 50F or 20F? I'd like some more info on that part of it.

All the research I've done says that the lithium batteries aren't suitable for use in temperatures at or below the freezing mark. The consensus is to go with the AGM batteries instead as they offer more powerful and reliable cranking in all conditions

All the research I've done says that the lithium batteries aren't suitable for use in temperatures at or below the freezing mark. The consensus is to go with the AGM batteries instead as they offer more powerful and reliable cranking in all conditions

So now not only does our SW warm weather provide us with a better riding season, but more battery options. I used to pretty much just tolerate AZ, the more I ride, the more I respect it.

I ended up not getting the Yuasa because my battery started to get a second wind, after it warmed up a little bit. I think I will get a Lithium battery after all. I think dropping 5 pounds from the belly of The Beast will be good for me.

why? what does the weight loss do for the bike?

Same thing is does for cars. Better power to weight ratio, better fuel mileage, less weight to change directions, etc.... Your basic common sense stuff. The weight loss that can be felt for the most benefit on a motorcycle is to lighten the wheels.

thanks loosenut. On the track, I understand an experienced rider wanting to shave off pounds. I am just having a hard time understanding why a new rider would buy a brand new battery for the purposes of taking weight off the bike. It would never have occurred to me.

I like to go by the adage, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I ride on a budget though. Hey, more power (no pun intended) to the dudes who can dump tons of cash into the little things.

thanks loosenut. On the track, I understand an experienced rider wanting to shave off pounds. I am just having a hard time understanding why a new rider would buy a brand new battery for the purposes of taking weight off the bike. It would never have occurred to me.

I like to go by the adage, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I ride on a budget though. Hey, more power (no pun intended) to the dudes who can dump tons of cash into the little things.

I'm with ya. I didn't replace my battery until it was needed. The Shorai battery I purchased was about the same cost as the stock replacment. Plus, I don't think there is any single item you can replace that saves that kind of weight for so little money.

Back