What do I need for my Gen I Fazer?

I'm new to bikes, and new to this forum, and didn't really see any pertinent posts while poking around. So if this is a beaten to death question, just link me in the right directions.
Just bought my 2002 fz1 yesterday. I know not much about it, just what I've been able to observe. I will appreciate any tips or general knowledge or suggestions that you have to offer.
It's got 17,xxx miles. Micron Exhaust.
Lots of "carbon-fiber" accents. The original owner did a bunch of carbon and blue accents everywhere. The guy I bought it from didn't know much about it.
It has nifty little "cruise-control" built into the bar ends (more of a throttle lock).
I'll be needing a new rear tire soon. Any suggestions?
How to check for chain tension, and how to tighten if necessary?
Oil-change tips/tricks?
Anything specific I should be looking for? It got laid down on the right side, so I need a new front fairing to house the head-lights. And eventually I'd like new brake levers.
The gas-tank is dented, I'd like to get that replaced eventually.
I need new frame/fork sliders, which ones do you suggest?
It has been sitting for a couple years. Battery has been maintained, not sure if he ran the engine though. It was running fine yesterday. I just put some sea-foam in the gas tank. Should I add sea-foam to the oil, or anywhere else?
I've read great things about Ivan's Carb/jet kit? Is that still around, is there another one you suggest? It'll probably be another 6/mos before I'm looking to purchase, but I'd like to be knowledgeable ahead of time.
I'm in the market for jacket and pants, and a helmet and backpack as well. Jacket and pants I don't mind used. I'd need a size Large jacket. And pats with a 34" inseam length. I'm a very skinny yet tall guy. (6' 4", 165lbs).

Anything else you'd like to suggest or offer, please pass on.

Also, according to the owner's manual, it would appear that at the 16k mark, the Swingarm and steering bearings are due to be "repacked", as well as the rear suspension link pivots. Any how-tos available on that? And changing the engine coolant?

I'm new to bikes, and new to this forum, and didn't really see any pertinent posts while poking around. So if this is a beaten to death question, just link me in the right directions.
Just bought my 2002 fz1 yesterday. I know not much about it, just what I've been able to observe. I will appreciate any tips or general knowledge or suggestions that you have to offer.
It's got 17,xxx miles. Micron Exhaust.
Lots of "carbon-fiber" accents. The original owner did a bunch of carbon and blue accents everywhere. The guy I bought it from didn't know much about it.
It has nifty little "cruise-control" built into the bar ends (more of a throttle lock).
I'll be needing a new rear tire soon. Any suggestions?
How to check for chain tension, and how to tighten if necessary?
Oil-change tips/tricks?
Anything specific I should be looking for? It got laid down on the right side, so I need a new front fairing to house the head-lights. And eventually I'd like new brake levers.
The gas-tank is dented, I'd like to get that replaced eventually.
I need new frame/fork sliders, which ones do you suggest?
It has been sitting for a couple years. Battery has been maintained, not sure if he ran the engine though. It was running fine yesterday. I just put some sea-foam in the gas tank. Should I add sea-foam to the oil, or anywhere else?
I've read great things about Ivan's Carb/jet kit? Is that still around, is there another one you suggest? It'll probably be another 6/mos before I'm looking to purchase, but I'd like to be knowledgeable ahead of time.
I'm in the market for jacket and pants, and a helmet and backpack as well. Jacket and pants I don't mind used. I'd need a size Large jacket. And pats with a 34" inseam length. I'm a very skinny yet tall guy. (6' 4", 165lbs).

Anything else you'd like to suggest or offer, please pass on.

First off, welcome to the club! Another GenI owner is always nice to have around. Get some pics up when you can.

Don't bother putting Seafoam in the crankcase. Best thing to do there is change the oil and a fresh filter. Let it run for 5 or 10 minutes first.

Adding Seafoam to the gas tank is a good idea. It's one ounce to every gallon of gas. I would do an ounce and a quarter per gallon for the first time just to clean out any gunk from the fuel system.

Chain Tension: With the bike on the centerstand, turn the wheel forward, stopping every six inches and push and pull the bottom section of chain, midway between the front and rear sprockets. You will notice it will get tighter in one area. Thats the section you want to adjust it by. I haven't had my GenI in a while but I believe it's 1.57 to 1.97 inches of slack. Anywhere in between these measurements is great.

Gas Tank: If your lucky you can find one on Ebay but they may be either pricey, or if cheaper, they may have dents or dings. If you want, there is a member on another forum named Dean who is fantastic at repairing and repainting your tank. Just send it to him and he'll do his thing and send it back. Sometimes it's worth the money. I think he's about $300 bucks but don't quote me on that.

Ivan's Jet Kit: There are others as well. I'm fortunate enough to live less than 30 minutes from his shop so he does any engine work on my bike for me. Dale Walker makes a kit as well. Either kit works well. Ivan's kit works great when you have a slip-on and retaining the stock airbox and stock filter. My bike was a whole different animal when I left his shop. You can also pick up some jets and do it yourself. Ivan still sells the kit from his website. Just do a search.

Check for wear on your sprockets, front and rear. If they are worn, replace them as a set. Don't skimp. Steel sprockets last really well. Partshark.com sells OEM stuff at great prices. The stock sprockets are just fine.

I would check your spark plugs and most definitely your EXUP Valve. The Valve should be serviced every 11,000 miles or so. Cable adjustment and lubrication.

Check your air filter and replace with a fresh one if needed.

Check your coolant as it may be time for a flush and refill.

Check your brake fluid and replace if old or dark and dirty. Brake pads as well.

Lubricate all your brake cables, clutch cable, and choke cable and check for wear or frayed ends. You don't want any of those busting on you far from home.

Upper Fairing: Again, Ebay if your okay with getting something used. I've seen many decent ones for sale there. Also, check the classifieds here on the site.

I can't think of much else except to enjoy the heck out of it. You have a low mileage beast that will take care of you for many years. Just change your oil regularly and do the usual maintenance and your good. These motors, when taken care of, will most always get you well over 100,000 miles. We have a few over that and there is one gal that made 200K!

Partshark list the new gas tank for $790.

I would do as suggested and get all the fluids changed out. Also new rubber.

I would also get a Morgan Carbtune and learn how to do the throttle body sync. I've done it on my '09 and it's the best thing I've ever done.

Good luck, and know that I will be jealous of your MPG :box:

Thank you for the feedback guys. I'm gonna try to post a couple pics here so you all can see everything. Something I found out while riding today, is that the float for my fuel gauge must be broken. Because the fuel tank reads fuel. But as my bike came to a sputtering stop, I realize it certainly was FAR from full. Luckily I was able to park the bike, and take a brief walk back to my house where I have a full gas can. So that gave me the little more motivation I needed to take my bike out on the real streets (what a blast!) With about a gallon of gas in there, I added another 4oz or so of Sea Foam. Then rode to the gas station and topped her off. One thing I didn't include in the pictures, were the headlights which I have tied onto the front mounting bracket now. Yes yes, it's quite a joke of a sight.... but it makes the bike at least marginally legal to ride.
Also, a buddy told me I need a light pointed at my license plate to be legal?? True or false in the state of CA?

So, the front... Before I tied the lights on hahaha.
2013-02-11141417_zps45ea1c7a.jpg

The damage side:
2013-02-11141424_zps6745d5d9.jpg

Anyone have any input on this exhaust?
2013-02-11141441_zps27a9d10e.jpg

What remains of the right slider...
2013-02-11151551_zps84f85be3.jpg

Not sure if this is normal, or the remnants of a patch job?
2013-02-11151315_zps5bf53959.jpg

So tomorrow's agenda includes: oil change; inspect carbs to see if modded; lube chain and check tension; inspect and likely change spark-plugs; attempt to change out other fluids.

Last edited:
I purchased a Cateye LED bicycle head lights for $20 a piece from REI (I already had one for my MTB). In AZ you only need to have a headlight that makes you visible from 300 feet away. Thankfully the LED does, that. It was crap for actually seeing unless a fresh pair of batteries were in there. I rode around like that for 2 weeks while I waited for my Euro Headlight Conversion Kit and passed a bunch of cops and didn't get pulled over once. You can check my thread "The Beast Mod Thread" to see what the euro kit looks like. It's designed for a Gen II but there might be other options out there for street fighter light setups.

Checkout partshark.com for all the fiche for parts and they have probably the best prices I've seen. I got my Euro Naked Headlight Conversion kit from them and was impressed by their service the whole time answering questions and getting my order to me fast. You can get all the parts you need to rebuild your front end.

PartShark.com - Motorcycle Parts, ATV Parts, UTV Parts, PWC Parts, Powersports Apparel, Motorcycle Accessories for OEM and Aftermarket.

I snagged a beaten up black fairing off fleabay for $50 shipped.... we'll see how that goes. Also ordered a horn and some spare keys.

Anyone have any input on why the gas gauge is always reading FULL? Even when half-empty, or bone dry.... it's always full. I'd imagine the float is off.... but how can I test/check/replace that?

Back