What epic ride do you have planned for 2013?

6 days from Truth or Consequences, NM, through Arizona's White Mountains and Mogollon Rim country to the Grand Canyon and back.

This ride will take in such delights as:

• AZ 191 (formerly 666), known from its old number as Devil's Highway - over 2000 turns in 90 miles
  • Salt River Canyon
  • Oak Creek Canyon

And all the beautiful high country in between.

Entire route. There are lots of route options, with anywhere from about 1300 - 1800 total miles.

The ride starts in a pretty barren desert area, but within the first 50 miles climbs 4000 ft to pine covered mountains with beautiful twisty roads. Then a lot more of that :)

Late May.

You will love the ride from Payson to Camp Verde. I did that the second week I had my Fz6 with a group of BMW riders, they hauled ass and it was some amazing twisty's with great scenery and not too many other vehicles on the road.

Also the ride from Prescott Valley to Cottonwood through Sedona and out Oak Creek Canyon would be awesome. I am looking forward to riding Oak Creak Canyon asap.

If you stay in Flagstaff, stay in the Hotel Monte Vista, it's an old historic hotel and I dunno I've always liked it because it has some charm to it.

I dunno if I would bother with the ride going down to Globe, unless there is some spot there I don't know about I remember it being rather boring in the car. What was your reason for doing that section of road if you don't mind me asking?

You will love the ride from Payson to Camp Verde. I did that the second week I had my Fz6 with a group of BMW riders, they hauled ass and it was some amazing twisty's with great scenery and not too many other vehicles on the road.

Also the ride from Prescott Valley to Cottonwood through Sedona and out Oak Creek Canyon would be awesome. I am looking forward to riding Oak Creak Canyon asap.

If you stay in Flagstaff, stay in the Hotel Monte Vista, it's an old historic hotel and I dunno I've always liked it because it has some charm to it.

I dunno if I would bother with the ride going down to Globe, unless there is some spot there I don't know about I remember it being rather boring in the car. What was your reason for doing that section of road if you don't mind me asking?

Don't have a hotel in Flagstaff yet; I'll check that one out.

The trip down to Globe is for the Salt River Canyon. May not get all the way to Globe, since the good part is from the canyon north. Mostly sweepers and pines up there.

(I live in Kansas now but AZ native and lived there for nearly 40 years :) )

Don't have a hotel in Flagstaff yet; I'll check that one out.

The trip down to Globe is for the Salt River Canyon. May not get all the way to Globe, since the good part is from the canyon north. Mostly sweepers and pines up there.

(I live in Kansas now but AZ native and lived there for nearly 40 years :) )

An AZ native, I thought you weren't allowed to move away since there are so few of you. JK.

Yaeh, the Salt River Canyon portion is nice but if I remember it really isn't that long. I used to drive my jeep through tortilla flats - apache lake - roosevelt lake and back into globe. The portion from roosevelt lake back into globe is way boring.

Other goodies in flagstaff are the Beaver Street Brewery and The Lumberyard. Also the vegetarian breakfast place across from Beaver Street brewery has the most amazing biscuits and gravy yet it has no meat. I always get some when I stay up there. My mouth is watering thinking about it.

We're retiring from the "big city" and moving to our farm this year - so there are endless projects to complete. As such - ANY ride is going to be epic! I'll consider myself lucky if I get to ride down the block! :cry:

So, the stars aligned and I will be doing a dream ride next week.

I will be riding up to Durango, camping out, then Ride the Million Dollar Highway, up to Grand Junction and over to Keystone. I will be at a Continuing Education (CE) seminar for 2 days and then either ride back the same way or possibly cut over to Utah for sh*ts and giggles on the way back.

Any suggestions for other must sees in that general vicinity while I'm up that way. :cheerleader::wow::sport12:

Hope everyone else is having an awesome summer as well. For those down in Oz, hope winter is awesome as well.

July 12th myself and a bunch of friends are riding from east side of Cleveland, OH, to Kelley's Island on the southwestern edge of Lake Erie. Take the ferry boat over to the island then it's anything goes all weekend, including some time on Put-In-Bay.

Cabots trail

I'm also heading down to cabots from montreal. I have a two week window and will take the best weather projections (July 29-August 10)
I'm planning on doing the Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia again this summer, went there twice with my car, time to go on 2 wheels!! It's a 3500km ride total. It's the most beautiful place I went with my car!

I also plan to go climb Mt. Washington with the Fizzie

I'm also heading down to cabots from montreal. I have a two week window and will take the best weather projections (July 29-August 10)

Have fun doing the cabot trail, i live in halifax and i try to do it every year its the best road in n.s. i suggest doing the trail counter clockwise because theres less traffic that way, enjoy

Ohh man. I'm half way done with my colorado trip. In keystone now enjoying a night in a hotel for the first time in a couple days. Recap this far

Day 1 : rode from Scottsdale to Durango. The high desert is pretty scenery but a lot of super slab hauling. Hit construction on the Navajo res a couple times and hope this is take in the best light but the native people have a different appreciation of time. Finally got to Durango and my campground. Setup home on the road and then was able to get a soak I'm the Trimble Hot Springs. Highly recommend this after a 450 mile day on the Fz.

Day 2 : took the 550, million dollar highway from Durango to Ouray. I don't know if it was the elevation or literally living up to the term breathtaking views. I would recommend any rider make that ride in their life. The sheer scale of the mountains with road that has a shoulder less than a foot wide made it imperative to stay present lest I go flying off a 1,000 drop.
Luckily before I left Durango I asked a local about the best route on a motorcycle to get to Keystone from there. He suggested going up 550 to Delta and then the 92 to Hotchkiss. The ride to there was relatively easy but the views at the backside of the Rockies made for a change in perspective. After Hotchkiss the ride got really interesting. The route heads north along the 133 through Paonia and over McClure pass. I have been really lucky and ridden some amazing motorcycle roads but this little bit of road is near the top of my list. The panoramic views, forest, deer (met my first one on the road, we both stopped in time and headed our separate way), water and just pure amazingness I would put this road up there with the 550. The only downside is the surface quality wasn't as nice but still easily rideable. I liked this road so much that I think instead of going back through Utah to see Moab I will instead just retrace my steps.

Canyon riding in SoCal was a lot of fun and exhilarating. The grand scale of western Colorado is breathtakingly amazing.

Cheers, hope everyone stays safe this summer and can get out and ride.

I don't know that any of my rides are 'epic', but the wife and I are taking a few overnight trips together (me on my FZ1 and her on her Ninja 250r). We took a 600 mile round trip to Hannibal, MO a month ago. We plan to take another trip to western MO that was outlined in "Rider" magazine a few months ago, the fisrt weekend in Aug. A co-worker my join us with his wife on the back of his new-to-him HD street glide. We intend to also retrun to Brown County, IN in September. We took a trip there 2 years ago, and had a great time.

Back