What radial calipers fit R1 forks

Ok so I have been spoilt with my last few bikes all having gold radial brembos..........so I am finding the FZ1 set up very soft and unresponsive by comparison.

I have R1 forks on the way (06 model) and apart from getting the 06 R1 calipers I wanted to know what other models could donate radial calipers?

I believe the 06 R1 radials have 100mm spacing.........would R6 calipers fit? What about brembo radials cos I have a few old aprilia buddies that could get me gold brembos. It would be pretty trick to have gold brembos on black R1 forks...anyone done this?

Cheers

Ok so I have been spoilt with my last few bikes all having gold radial brembos..........so I am finding the FZ1 set up very soft and unresponsive by comparison.

I have R1 forks on the way (06 model) and apart from getting the 06 R1 calipers I wanted to know what other models could donate radial calipers?

I believe the 06 R1 radials have 100mm spacing.........would R6 calipers fit? What about brembo radials cos I have a few old aprilia buddies that could get me gold brembos. It would be pretty trick to have gold brembos on black R1 forks...anyone done this?

Cheers

I think the R6 calipers are pretty much the same as the R1 ones so probably not worth it. I did see some adapters on eBay that allowed Brembo radial calipers to mount to the standard forks, but now I can't find them again :(

I think the R6 calipers are pretty much the same as the R1 ones so probably not worth it. I did see some adapters on eBay that allowed Brembo radial calipers to mount to the standard forks, but now I can't find them again :(

i rather not trust any form of caliper adapters where my life depends on it.

that's the only that will STOP you in any case of shit, and i don't wanna risk it.

My brother installed a set of 07 R1 forks on his 06 FZ1, and he installed 07 6 piston radial calipers as well. Requires a 5mm spacer since the FZ1 disks are larger than the R1 disks. You can get he spacer from Honda - its used on a 07 up cbr1000.

I'm getting ready to do the same thing but with my 08 FZ1. Using forks and 6 piston calipers from an 08 R1 (from an R1 purchased to race). I got the spacers yesterday. Hope to have a chance to do the swap Thanksgiving holiday. I'm changing to steel brake lines and a R6 MC as well.

BobsFZ1_ForksBrakes.jpg

My brother installed a set of 07 R1 forks on his 06 FZ1, and he installed 07 6 piston radial calipers as well. Requires a 5mm spacer since the FZ1 disks are larger than the R1 disks. You can get he spacer from Honda - its used on a 07 up cbr1000.

I'm getting ready to do the same thing but with my 08 FZ1. Using forks and 6 piston calipers from an 08 R1 (from an R1 purchased to race). I got the spacers yesterday. Hope to have a chance to do the swap Thanksgiving holiday. I'm changing to steel brake lines and a R6 MC as well.

Better still, buy a set of 07/08 R1 rotors, they are fairly cheap on EBay and there is no mucking around with spacers. (That's what I did)

i rather not trust any form of caliper adapters where my life depends on it.

that's the only that will STOP you in any case of shit, and i don't wanna risk it.

I hear you. I did eventually find the adapters in question, but they are to fit radial calipers to the standard FZ1 forks, not the R1 ones. Here's the link in case anyone is interested in adding radial calipers to their standard FZ1 forks:

99 01 02 03 YZF R1 07 08 09 10 11 FZ1 FZS Fazer 1000 Bracket Hanger Brembo 100mm | eBay

Better still, buy a set of 07/08 R1 rotors, they are fairly cheap on EBay and there is no mucking around with spacers. (That's what I did)

Yes . . .I don't get the idea of buying all the R1 parts, going to the trouble of installing them, yet keeping the stock FZ rotors which are heavier and force the use of spacers to allow the calipers to fit. People unload stock R1 rotors frequently on Ebay as they upgrade to aftermarket so they can be often had for cheap. The low mileage set I purchased was less than $40 shipped. You could also buy aftermarket bling rotors for the R1.

DO IT RIGHT DAMMIT! :)

Oh, and absolutely upgrade the stock FZ master cylinder to a radial design one like the stock R1 / R6 one.

Last edited:
Ir you're using 07/08 R1 forks (or Ohlins forks for 07/08 R1), you're definately going to want the "narrow path" rotor used with the 6 piston calipers. Using an older R1 rotor or FZ1 rotor & spacers just doesn't look right with the 6 piston caliper

The R1 pads only contact a portion of the larger diameter FZ rotors surface. How is this going to improve braking? Greater mass for heat dissipation? The R1 rotors are engineered to work properly with the R1 calipers, so I don't think that heat loading is an issue. Aftermarket rotors have even less mass.

I hear you. I did eventually find the adapters in question, but they are to fit radial calipers to the standard FZ1 forks, not the R1 ones. Here's the link in case anyone is interested in adding radial calipers to their standard FZ1 forks:

99 01 02 03 YZF R1 07 08 09 10 11 FZ1 FZS Fazer 1000 Bracket Hanger Brembo 100mm | eBay

Hi bro just to make sure if i buy these adapters n fit any 100mm calipers straight to my fz1n ,do i retain 320mm disc?or do i need to change to 300mm disc?:D
Cos mine is a jap model using 108mm stock and im not sure.Any help on this?

Last edited:
Back