What tall screen for fazer 1000?

Wind screens

Hi, I'm new to the site and to the FZ1. I can tell you I'm not impressed with the Givi Tall windscreen. I went with it based on the quality I've seen in their luggage. The quality of the screen itself is good but the deflection of the wind howls around my helmut. Going to try the ZG DB next.

Rifle

I've used two tall windscreens, one for my 2001 FZ1 and another for my 2008 FZ1 — like the smoke version best. Rifle's a dependable company as are its products. In Los Gatos.

Just got myself an 03 Fazer 1000...want to get a taller screen...what are my options???

I've used a National Cycle touring screen on my Gen 1 FZ1 and I think it's about as good as it gets for air protection. I don't know any other company that makes one as tall as the National Cycle. It's a very nice piece, very thick with great build quality.

My 2007 came with the stock screen and a Rifle screen. I know I have a Gen II and you are asking about a Gen I, so take that into account.

The Rifle screen I have comes with a sub-section that screws on where the stock shield would go (it's just black plastic). Then the actual shield screws onto it. This changes the angle of the shield and creates a larger opening for wind to come under the shield, thus reducing the vacuum behind the shield at speed. This seems to work well, and block a fair amount of wind. My complaints are that it seems flimsy, (but seems to hold up at 150+ mph). I also don't care for the looks of the shield, but use it in colder weather anyway. As soon as warm weather hits, I'm back to stock.

Mine also had to have cut outs for the levers when the bars are at max turn, but I'm sure this is because this bike also had aftermarket bars with a slight up bend in them. I really don't know if the stock bars would have caused the levers to hit the screen or not.

I don't have any good pics of the shield by its self, but here's the best one I have right now...

675.JPG

677.JPG

676.JPG

I'm not sure what those 2 black things are at the top of the shield, but I assume they were for an adjustable shield spoiler (or maybe mirrors, but really doubt it).

I don't know how different the Gen I shield is from Rifle, but that's my take on the Gen II. If it had less flex and I liked the looks more, I'm sure I wouldn't be looking for another shield, but I still am. Functionally I have no real complaints, but the stock shield is all I have to compare it to. I hope that helps in some way.

Hi, I'm new to the site and to the FZ1. I can tell you I'm not impressed with the Givi Tall windscreen. I went with it based on the quality I've seen in their luggage. The quality of the screen itself is good but the deflection of the wind howls around my helmut. Going to try the ZG DB next.

Still looking here :(

I'm think this one ???? Any opinions?

I've used a National Cycle touring screen on my Gen 1 FZ1 and I think it's about as good as it gets for air protection. I don't know any other company that makes one as tall as the National Cycle. It's a very nice piece, very thick with great build quality.

The Nationl Cycle does do an excellent job when you'll be touring or for extended interstate, high speed use. They are quite large so for around town, short haul, and low speed riding they are a bit out of their element. I put it on when needed and take it off when I don't.

I have the National Cycle giant screen, but also took the advice from VA Rider and did the chop of the stock one. It seemed funny at first. Why remove a windscreen to reduce the wind? Then I started thinking about it. The air, the flow, the history of a race bike that morphed into a sit up version. I whacked and blacked the stock windscreen and took a ride. My, my, my how sweet it is. Still get blasted pretty good, but have eliminated having my chest in calm air that is directed to my head. Now it's even air on my torso where I can do the lazy lean forward and float along.

The zero gravity sport touring is pretty good. Can be had for $50 + shipping factory 2nd at zgoutlet. It does not eliminate all the wind, gets it to about my chin and I am 5'9".

Back